I am in need of some advice. I have a small utility collection from Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) for $11.43.
I recently contacted PG&E and asked for a DV, telling them that I will pay the collection IF it is indeed mine. They assured me that I owed them money and sent me what looks like some past utility bills for the amount of $11.43. Upon reviewing the infromtation in this bill, I'm pretty sure this is my debt.
Now, for some reason the PG&E colection has disappeared from my MyFico EQ report.
I checked TU, EQ and EX through annualcreditreport.com. None of these contain the PG&E collection.
I'm torn as to what to do next:
(1) Pay this small collection since it is my responsibility. Will the collection come back on my CR?
(2) Don't pay and hope it never comes back on my CR. Feel the guilt everytime I pay my utility bill.
Thank you in advance for your replies.
I would defiantly pay it. You don't want it coming back to haunt you if you don't pay it, especially since it is such a tiny amount. If it's off the report now then if you pay it they would have no reason to put it back on. If they did put it back on you would have the proof you paid it before it was added back. Easy deletion worst case scenario. I would pay it asap though before they change their mind and add it back on before payment though. Take a screen shot or save the updated report with no collection from them to cover your bases if it does get added after you pay it.
For future reference, you cannot DV an OC. Those are for 3rd party collection agencies only.
Did the OC take your phone call as a dispute? It is possible that is what happened and it was removed temporarily pending the dispute.
An account can be listed on your CR, before, during or after a payment. It could easily be put back on, even paid. And it depends on what it was removed for. If it was due to a dispute due to lack of verification, it can be re-inserted. The CRA has to tell you that it has been and they have to make sure it is valid.
Did you tell PG&E you would pay it?
Thank you all for your replies.
I'm not entirely sure if the OC took my phone call as a dispute. Here's how it happened.
(1) I called the PG&E closed accounts department and inquired about a strange PG&E collections on my CR.
(2) The lady (who was very nice) told me that they reported this collection because I hadn't paid my final bill of $11.43 on a previous account.
(3) She told me that even if I paid this amount, the collection will not go away for ~7 years.
(4) I told her that I would need some sort of validation that this debt was indeed mine. And that I would pay this amount if they verified the debt.
(5) She said that she would send me verification (which turned out to be a copy of a past due bill).
(6) After reviewing the dates on the old bill, I determined that this was indeed my debt, but haven't taken any action.
(7) ~1 month after the phone call, the collection is gone from my CR.
Judging from everyone's replies, it seems that I should probably pay this and take the hit if it comes back on my CR. I suppose that would be better than having this collection mysteriously come up when I am trying to purchase a home in a few years. Also, this is money that I most likely owe.
Done! I just paid this. Hopefully it doesn't come back.