cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small collection

tag
datdude101

Small collection

I'm looking at two small collections for medical bills on my report.

One for $25 that was listed once in May 2012. It looks like it was just some sort of co-pay or fee that should have been paid at the office or by insurance but never knew about. Date Opened 3/1/2012. Account Status Closed.

Another one is from 2010 and is listed for a couple months during that year few as KD and a few as ND(no data), from April to August..  Also didn't know about this until checking report. It is listed as Date Opened 1/1/2010. Account Status Closed.

Neither of them are actively being reported now. I was just wondering if these accounts were closed as a result of orginal creditor getting paid, or if they just posted the balance once/short period and then didn't continue to report. I want to dispute them, but chances are they are bills for me, but I don't know if they were paid or not. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Small collection

If they were paid, the CA would be obligated to update as paid.

You can always call the OC and see if they were paid.  If not ask to pay them and have the accounts recalled from the CA.

Message 2 of 10
datdude101

Not sure if they were paid. Definetly weren't paid to collection agency. It might of been a bill that got paid eventualy by insurance, or in person the next visit to doctors office. 

Message 3 of 10
datdude101

Would it be better to call the orginial creditor and ask about it? Or at this point is the collection agency who I have to deal with.

Should I do a DV and a PFD afterwards, or just go ahead and send PFD letters first(only).

Message 4 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

you would call the Doctors office, ask them if you have any outstanding debt with them. if not. then you will need to call the CA and have them remove the TL. If you do owe the debt just pay it then do a PFD.

Message 5 of 10
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Collections can be sold or just assigned.

If the OC sells the debt to a CA, then the OC is out of the picture and the CA is now one you have to deal with.

Oh and yes, the OC must change the balance to $0, if sold to a CA

When an OC assigns a debt with a CA, that means the OC still owns the debt and the CA is only there to help with collecting.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 10
datdude101

There is no OC on report. 

There is no "balance" for an OC.

Only the collections that I mentioned in my first post from CA.

Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Before you do anything, contact the Dr office and find out if the debt even exists.  Sometimes it could be an error.

Message 8 of 10
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Before you do anything, contact the Dr office and find out if the debt even exists.  Sometimes it could be an error.

+1, I agree. Start at the beginning with the Drs office. Good Luck to you.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 9 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

+2, I just called my old docs office on thursday cause I had a $50 CO showing on my report from 06' they confirmed I had no past due with them I called the CA, explained to them. They called the docs office to confirm, it was an error. They even sent me a letter of confirmation to my email that they were going to have the TL deleted from TU immediately!!! Da Bears in 13' Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.