Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small collections: Try PFD or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small collections: Try PFD or not?

Hello, I've been studying the various topics here to improve my score. I have two recent collections on my credit report from unpaid utilities:

1) AT&T - $63 (May 2012)

2) PG&E - $11 (Mar 2012)

I read somewhere that small collection balances (original balance under $100) do not count against your FICO 08 score. Is this true?

If so, should I even attempt the PFD procedures that others have tried?

Just to let you know, I plan to PIF both of these accounts eventually, whether or not I can get them to delete the collections from my CR.

Thank you for your help! The community has been very helpful!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Small collections: Try PFD or not?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I've been studying the various topics here to improve my score. I have two recent collections on my credit report from unpaid utilities:

1) AT&T - $63 (May 2012)

2) PG&E - $11 (Mar 2012)

I read somewhere that small collection balances (original balance under $100) do not count against your FICO 08 score. Is this true?

If so, should I even attempt the PFD procedures that others have tried?

Just to let you know, I plan to PIF both of these accounts eventually, whether or not I can get them to delete the collections from my CR.

Thank you for your help! The community has been very helpful!

Most lenders don't use Fico 08 yet...

I have PMed you my EOS-CCA contacts..

I would try for PFD on any account as the first step, if you know the account is yours.. if you are unsure I would DV

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

HI and Welcome to the forums,

Who's reporting on your (CR)Credit Reports, only AT&T and PG&E?     Or did they send the debts to CA's (collection agencies)?

If the debts are only with the OC (original creditor)s  AT&T and PG&E.....

I would suggest on paying these small amounts off as soon as possible, before they are sent to CA's.

Once a CA is on your CR, it can ding your score by 80-100 points.

If the debts are with CA's, then yes you can use a PFD Letter.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lightnin,

I'm pretty sure that AT&T has turned over my account to a CA. Soon after the fact, my EQ score from myfico.com decreased by 15 points (650 to 635). Maybe my score didn't decrease very much because it wasn't very high to begin with?  I am planning to call them tomorrow to verify that the CA holding my account is indeed EOS CCA. Then I will take Scott's advice and email the higher ups about a PFD.

As for my PG&E account, PG&E told me that a CA is handling my account, but said that I could pay the $11 balance to them (to PG&E, the OC) over the phone if I wanted.

Thank you for linking the template PFD letter!

Message 4 of 6
diabla
Regular Contributor

Just wanted to add that even though those are small now, if you ignore them, some CA might pick it up one day and add a ton of fees to it and make it several hundred, then it WILL be a problem.  So its best to pay it now and get it confirmed and deleted.

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Pay the one to PG&E.   Ask if they will call it back from the CA, I know this isn't the norm, the CA doesn't have to delete their postings, but I've seen it actually happen.  You're probably not going to get ATT to PFD, but I have seen them GW things off.  So if they won't PFD, then pay and GW it.  They're so small, hopefully they will delete.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.