cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small medical collections,PFD denied, Pay them?Or wait until they get returned to original creditor?

tag
amanda1266
Valued Member

Small medical collections,PFD denied, Pay them?Or wait until they get returned to original creditor?

Hi all, 

I have 5 medical collection items on my credit report of little dollar amount.  I sent in a PFD, but each company replied with debt verification. I want to apply for a mortgage soon and I was wondering what my best route would be to fix my credit the best I can.  I doubt I'll be able to get them to delete it because it's not very much money. 

Should I just go ahead and pay it?

What if I don't pay it, will they eventually return it to the original creditor and remove it from my report at that time?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Small medical collections,PFD denied, Pay them?Or wait until they get returned to original credi

If they return it to the OC, then the OC would farm it out to someone else and the CA would delete. Or maybe the OC will sell it to the CA and the CA will sell it to whomever.

Some lenders don't care about small balances on medical debt. I had one at $177 and they didn't care or ask me to pay it. I would send another round of PFDs, though. I'd de-emphasize the word "Dispute" if you are using the form PFDs as found in these forums. I'd re-word it. I would not pay it without a PFD without talking to your lender prior to applying. What I did was bring copies of our CRs and asked the lender for advice. The LO then told us what we needed to worry about and what not to worry about. If your LO-to-be says it might have to be paid, then you can make a payment and start GWing away just before applying for the mortgage.

Message 2 of 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Small medical collections,PFD denied, Pay them?Or wait until they get returned to original credi

You could also go the HIPAA route.  Not to be discussed here, but google "HIPAA MEDICAL COLLECTIONS" and you will get the detailed instructions you need.  There are tons of success stories about HIPAA, including me for Transunion (not EQ or EX though).

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.