Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smith Reid & Associates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Smith Reid & Associates

IF you can get them to provide and address request debt validation - but experience says you'll never get an address - nor will they send anything you request by phone.

I had calls from a similar firm.   I simply told them that I knew that there was no suit pending (I work at a law firm and checked court files to see if anything was filed against me).  I also told them they were in violation of FDCPA for threatening action they weren't going to take.  

I also reported to my state's attorney general with the phone number and all information.

Suddenly - the calls stopped.   Once they realize you know your rights and they can't scam you they will quit.    They want to scare you into paying over the phone.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to deal with it if it was legit and I just don't remember the cc.  I gave them correct address and requested everything so I don't know much else I can do except wait and see if they send anything.  I also checked all records in the 3 surrounding counties where I live and didn't find anything on me.  Don't know that that means anything but...  I don't know that I'll be able to get an address as they hang up on me.  In my experience...I've never had a CA hang up on me.  Normally they remain on line trying to haggle funds out of you or set up a plan. They don't hang up because that's their commission or payout.  These guys hung up on me twice and it's a little odd that it's always the same guy to answer.  Normally in past w/ CA's ...I always get differnt people answering. 

RobertEG:  "I would at leat place them under a cease collection bar by sending a timely DV,"   What do you mean by this?  Isn't the DV something they need to send to me once I requested?

Thanks

Message 12 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A request for debt validation is detailed under FDCPA 809(b).

If it is sent within 30 days after dunning notice or prior to any dunning notice, then its legal effect is to impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector, which remains in effect until such time as the choose to respond.  The legislative intent of the DV process was primarily to give reprieve to consumers of continued collection activities until they have received validation of the debt.  It is not a requirment for the debt collector to validate.

No, a DV does not set any period for their response, or require that that provide debt validation.

They can choose to simple cease further collection activites and never respond.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The statute of limitations on debt collection in Florida is 5 years. Because Smith Reid and Associates is a fly by night renegade organization, they should already know this but. They are depending on you the consumer to be ignorant of your states debt collection laws and succumb to they're scare tactics and pay up. If they call again, inform them of Floridas debt collection laws and file a complaint with the FTC and the CA Atty Generals office.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll review this...FDCPA 809(b). I'll make sure to address them correctly if they make contact again.  Thank you for the insight guys

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.