Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneaky Snakes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sneaky Snakes

I recently DV'd AFNI regarding a DirecTV account.  They responded with an account printout for someone with my name, but clearly wasn't me as it was in a different state.  I knew this debt wasn't mine.  I pointed that out and the collection account was removed from all 3 CRAs.  Guess what came in the mail yesterday?  A NEW collection for DirecTV from a different collection company and for a different amount.  I am going to DV them as well, but this isn't on my report yet.  They are offering a "settlement of MY debt" for around $100 --Paid in Full.  While I am going to wait for the validation, part of me just wants to pay the darn thing and not have to worry about it.  I DID have a DirecTV account several years ago, but it was paid in full at cancellation.  They said the receivers were not returned, but I have the proof of delivery.  DirecTV would not budge, and the AFNI collection showed up just last winter---and that one wasn't even close to being mine.

So after that ramble.  If the new company sends me a validation that is actually my account, even though I contend it is paid in full, I think I should just pay the silly $100 to keep it off my reports.  If it shows up I will spend that much in time trying to get it back off.  Agree?  Not agree?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sneaky Snakes

What is your state of residence?

You may have enhanced debt collection practices requirments under your state statute/regs that would serive better than a DV under the FDCPA......

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in California.  I'll look that up.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Companies that purchase charged off consumer debts owed by California residents have some new and stricter guidelines to follow starting on Jan. 1, 2014. The changes are outlined in California’s Fair Debt Buying Practices Act. Most of the new rules resulting from the Act will be applied to debts purchased after the enactment date.

Debt buyers must possess some of the following information in order to make a written statement to collect:

An accurate account of the balance of a debt at charge-off, and the nature and reason for any post-charge-off interest and fees. While this part of the Act does not “require a specific itemization” it does require those items be broken out separately.  The intent is to curb the questionable practice of inflating balances in collection.

The date the account went into default, or the date of last payment. Knowing this date will help consumers understand how much risk remains that they can still be sued for a debt, and should also assist in helping to better understand any valid post charge-off interest and fees.

The name and address of the charge-off creditor (the original lender), and of any previous purchasers of the account. This will help people to clearly identify whether the debt is their own, which has not always been easy to determine when debt buyers resell debts to other companies.

The debt buyer must have access to a copy of the agreement evidencing a debt. This can include “the most recent monthly statement showing a record of a purchase transaction, last payment, or balance transfer…” Providing consumers this type of documentation is typically something debt collectors and debt buyers are already accustomed to in order to meet their obligations when responding to debt validation requests under existing federal laws (the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act). But there is more.

The Fair Debt Buying Practices Act requires the collector to provide information relating to the above bullet items within 15 days of receiving a consumer’s written request. And collection efforts must cease until the request has been met.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.