Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowballing in debt...help!

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Snowballing in debt...help!

Time to begin rebuilding...

Now I have not completely ruined my credit yet but I'm walking a fine line toward that. My FICO score has been dropping at least 10 points a month due to high UTL and several balances reporting. I went from 720 FICO to around 650 FICO. I'm close the the credit limit on two of my credit cards. I'm trying to simplify my debt and have considered getting a consolidation loan for at my two balances approaching high limit. I have stopped using my credit cards completely. I just need to create a plan to tackle my debt ASAP!

My profile is as follows:

Chase - $4346 open/never late 0% until 1/14

Discover - $1431 open/never late 0% until 12/13

Ashley - $1323 open/never late 0% until 4/14

US Bank - $497 open/never late

Walmart - $473 open/never late

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Snowballing in debt...help!

What are the balances and limits on the cards?  What is your utilization overall?

Message 2 of 9
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

My reccomendation pay them in order of interest accruing.

USBank and Walmart first (that will put both of those at 0 util (DO NOT CHARGE ON THEM AGAIN UNTIL ALL PAID OFF)

Then I would tackle Discover and pay it off before that 0% runs out (no need to get extra interest) then Chase and lastly Ashly. 

I would say do not to run them up again.  Only charge what you can pay off unless it is a large purchase or emergency.  interest will kill ya.

that is what would be my plan of attack.  Dont expend any extra till you are caugt up.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 3 of 9
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@TimeToRecover wrote:

My reccomendation pay them in order of interest accruing.

USBank and Walmart first (that will put both of those at 0 util (DO NOT CHARGE ON THEM AGAIN UNTIL ALL PAID OFF)

Then I would tackle Discover and pay it off before that 0% runs out (no need to get extra interest) then Chase and lastly Ashly. 

I would say do not to run them up again.  Only charge what you can pay off unless it is a large purchase or emergency.  interest will kill ya.

that is what would be my plan of attack.  Dont expend any extra till you are caugt up.

Thank you. This seems like the best approach Smiley Happy If I don't pay off the balances in the appropriate time frame...would a personal loan be the best route? I don't want to waste a inquiry to be denied you know?

Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I disagree.  Only because if you are near maxed out on 2 cards you score will suffer more.

I would pay the 2 cards maxed out to get them out of the danger area then start paying off the others.

Message 5 of 9
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 9
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Slight update for those of you who like me...are snowballing in a huge about of credit debt. Since my last post I have alternated between using cash and credit. I'm down to using one card now which is my chase freedom (only card company that has been good to me). I've also utlized my reward points to pay down my balances. I have paid off US Bank completely and I no longer have this card in my posession. I have also paid off my Wally Discover card and have sock drawered it due to the fact they are really slow on updating their payment history. It took them exactly 2 weeks to process my payment and show this credit. Hopefully this 0 balance will reflect in my credit report soon and bring my UTL down from 27%!!

As of now, my profile is as follows:

Chase - $4346 open/never late 0% until 1/14

Discover - $1431 open/never late 0% until 12/13

Ashley - $1223 open/never late 0% until 4/14

US Bank - $0 open/never late

Walmart - $0 open/never late

My next course of action is to tackle Discover, Chase, and lately Ashley. I never want to hurt like this again...in the pocket book!

Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a good plan.  Keep it up!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 9
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I disagree.  Only because if you are near maxed out on 2 cards you score will suffer more.

I would pay the 2 cards maxed out to get them out of the danger area then start paying off the others.

+1. From my old USAA monitoring service, 70+ is not good but 90+ percent is "maxed out." If any of them is there, get them out of there first. 

THen it is up to you. Some like smallest balance first, others like highest interest first. I was knocking out small balances, which tended to have higher interest anyways. However, if any of them are closed, your CL still is used for util. Once you are paid off, you lose that padding. So I stopped the smallest and moved to smallest OPEN accounts.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.