cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Capital One says it cannot EVER remove a late due to FCRA???

tag
ddgerdog1
Established Member

So Capital One says it cannot EVER remove a late due to FCRA???

So, after being inspired from this forum, I began my quest to have some lates removed via a good will letter campaign.  I have gotten nothing BUT no's.  Today, we got a call from Capital One's Customer Relation's Department that told us they could never remove a late from a credit report because it would be in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Is that true?  Has anyone heard that?  I am perplexed and disheartened.

Any advice is appreciate.  Thanks everyone.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
cqdealer711
Frequent Contributor

Re: So Capital One says it cannot EVER remove a late due to FCRA???

it wouldnt be a violation of anything... the fcra stipulates only information that IS reported, be accurate.  Not that information MUST be reported.

Starting FICO Score: 10/1/12--EQ 512 | TU 492 | EX 524
Current FICO Score: 2/22/14--EQ 705 | TU 703 | EX 716
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 19
ddgerdog1
Established Member

So how to we respond to that?  This was the one and only time we have ever been late with them. 

Unfortunately, our son, was an authorized user.  He used the card, never told us and we got paperless statments sent to an email address we never checked.  We finally got a bill in the mail once it was 120+ days late.  I then paid it in full.  I explained all of this in a GW letter and apologized, took full responsibility for the debt and let them know it was paid in full.

Message 3 of 19
750Hopeful
New Contributor

Tell them they are smoking drugs.

I sent a GW 6 months ago to Capital One and got a phone call a day later and they said they removed my 30 date late and I verified that they did. No problemo.

Message 4 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can politely let them know that, yes, if they report it must be accurate but the FCRA does state they have to report, so, by deleting the lates, it is not violating any laws.

Message 5 of 19
ddgerdog1
Established Member

Ok, I am going to try to say it in a polite way.  I am not sure if anyone has an address or a fax number that they would be willing to PM me?  I do know my letter made it to Customer Relations, but I didn't have any luck.

I am not willing to give up, especially since we are at a 604 at the moment and just need to get to a 640.  Hoping sooner than later.

Thanks again for all the help.

Message 6 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They have deleted lates for others so you spoke to the wrong CSR or they have no set policies in place and make it up as they go.

Find the CEO and email him.

Message 7 of 19
Jslow
Valued Member

So what should they put in place of a late? A paid on time? Oh wait that would be inaccurate...
Message 8 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@ddgerdog1 wrote:

Ok, I am going to try to say it in a polite way.  I am not sure if anyone has an address or a fax number that they would be willing to PM me?  I do know my letter made it to Customer Relations, but I didn't have any luck.

I am not willing to give up, especially since we are at a 604 at the moment and just need to get to a 640.  Hoping sooner than later.

Thanks again for all the help.

Never give up!!!! My mentor Steve Stiffler has always told me!!!! Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Jslow wrote:
So what should they put in place of a late? A paid on time? Oh wait that would be inaccurate...

They would put nothing.  ND.  And it would be accurate.  As if they never reported.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.