Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I called Cap1 today...

tag
soxcited
New Contributor

So I called Cap1 today...

To ask them PIF in exchange of opening my card back up. I gave them the account number and was immediately told that I need to call another number. I searched the number and it looks like it belongs to CA. Then I called the Cap1 debt recovery number, and again, as soon as i entered the account number i was transferred to this CA. Cap1 still shows as OC and continues to report. This is for a charge off account from 2007. I wonder if Cap1 sold the account to CA. I would like to deal with OC and PIF if possible but it looks like i am too late. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
GordonShumway
Regular Contributor

Re: So I called Cap1 today...

@soxcited wrote:

To ask them PIF in exchange of opening my card back up. I gave them the account number and was immediately told that I need to call another number. I searched the number and it looks like it belongs to CA. Then I called the Cap1 debt recovery number, and again, as soon as i entered the account number i was transferred to this CA. Cap1 still shows as OC and continues to report. This is for a charge off account from 2007. I wonder if Cap1 sold the account to CA. I would like to deal with OC and PIF if possible but it looks like i am too late. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Cap one will always show as OC until it drops or they remove.

The only question is whether they sold or assigned the account and that will be from the balace they report.

If they still hold the account, AND if you want to PIF, I would call Cap one and hold until the system does not recognize and sends you to an actual person.

They would rather get paid directly than get a split from the CA.  Don;t get a NO for an answer and go up the chain until you reach someone who will work with you.

Message 2 of 15
soxcited
New Contributor

@GordonShumway wrote:

Cap one will always show as OC until it drops or they remove.

The only question is whether they sold or assigned the account and that will be from the balace they report.

If they still hold the account, AND if you want to PIF, I would call Cap one and hold until the system does not recognize and sends you to an actual person.

They would rather get paid directly than get a split from the CA.  Don;t get a NO for an answer and go up the chain until you reach someone who will work with you.

Thanks GordonShumway. First time I called it was an actual person. She gave me the new number to call. Second time was automated. How do you go up the chain, keep asking for supervisor? or do you mean sites like PFB?

Message 3 of 15
soxcited
New Contributor

Oh i forgot to mention. In CR it says charged off as bad debt, revolving account, acct closed by credit grantor but does not say transfer/sold. So i am guessing they still have the account unless they sold in just recently couple of days ago.

Message 4 of 15
GordonShumway
Regular Contributor

@soxcited wrote:

Thanks GordonShumway. First time I called it was an actual person. She gave me the new number to call. Second time was automated. How do you go up the chain, keep asking for supervisor? or do you mean sites like PFB?

If the OC still reports a balance than they still hold it. They need to report CO after 180 days of delinquency per accounting requirment, That does not mean that they will not accept your money. If the OC reports ZERO balance on an UNPAID account, than it was sold, but from what you report on the automated system response, it's only assigned at this time

If you talk to CSR and you get a NO, ask to a supervisor and so on.

Typically, even if the account is  assigned to a CA, there is someone who's responsible for it at the OC. You need to reach the person who will pull it from the CA and allow you to PIF (or whatever agreement you reach).

BTW, call me ALF Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 15
soxcited
New Contributor

so i called cap1 today ... again... before i was able to reach a CSR.

but this time as soon as i entered my account number my call was transfered to CA. Does this mean they sold the account? I can not reach a CSR.

I was hoping to reach Cap1 for a PIF deal. I do not know if I should try PFB at this stage? Or maybe try faxing them my offer but i do not know the fax number.

Any suggestions?

Message 6 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It could mean that CapOne assigned the debt to a CA, but still owns it, and just want to outsource collections to that CA or it could mean that CapOne sold it. If CapOne reports a balance, then CapOne still owns it.

Have you mailed any PFDs yet? If not, then I'd do it. If after a few attempts, I would then PIF and then GW them.

Message 7 of 15
soxcited
New Contributor

i prepared the letters but i do not know where to mail them. I have Utah address on the CR but their website also shows Richmond address. On their website i found a fax number which is listed as "Merchant Resolutions" but it has Richmond address. I am leaning toward faxing as i would think i can get faster response but I do not know if it is the right fax number. Would you recommend mailing the letters to all these addresses? I believe in my case PIF in exchange for reopening the account woud work better. Hopefully they would do it.

Message 8 of 15
GordonShumway
Regular Contributor

@soxcited wrote:

i prepared the letters but i do not know where to mail them. I have Utah address on the CR but their website also shows Richmond address. On their website i found a fax number which is listed as "Merchant Resolutions" but it has Richmond address. I am leaning toward faxing as i would think i can get faster response but I do not know if it is the right fax number. Would you recommend mailing the letters to all these addresses? I believe in my case PIF in exchange for reopening the account woud work better. Hopefully they would do it.

Cap 1 corp is in VA so fax it to the Richmond no. you have.

I had the same issue with Chase in which the only conact is either a po box or a fax. Fax works.

Message 9 of 15
soxcited
New Contributor

What if they accept and send me a signed letter via fax . Is faxed copy good enough  or should i wait until i receive the original letter in the mail and then send the payment?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.