Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So discouraged!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So discouraged!

You guys, I am SO discouraged. I think discouragement is an understatement. I started off this rebuilding journey with low 500s. Two months later I am at 608/610/609. I got some success with removing two collection accounts and one charge off account. I still have 1 paid charge off, student loans (8 loans w/ federal and 8 loans with Navient) with serious lates, and a paid collection account for $635. Even typing out how many baddies I still have on my report is upsetting. I tried requesting a GW removal of the charge off with Capital One and they will not remove it even though it was just for fees remaining at the end of the lease term. I have not even attempted GWs with the loan companies because I have read on these forums that it is near to impossible to attain success. The paid collection is with PRA, so doubt they will remove it. 

Based on my scores now, I thought I should try applying for Barclays Apple Rewards. (I was purchasing an apple watch.) I was denied. Called recon and told that they wanted to see me handle credit for more time since the last delinquency. I was okay with that. I get it. It was just hard to hear. I applied for Bank of America Cash Rewards because I have banked with them for over 13 years. I was originally denied the fully secured card before I cleaned some stuff up. I was hoping that if I did get denied (I knew there was a strong possibility) that they would counter with the partially secured. Looking back now, don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, tried recon hoping to get offered the partially secured or even the fully secured. No dice. The analyst was so demeaning and not as helpful as the Barclays analyst. 

I know these decisions are not personal, but it sucks. I guess I have just come to the realization that though I have made progress, I have soooo much longer to go. I made the decision that I will not be applying to any more cards for the next year. I will focus on just responsibly handling the cards that I have now (Cap1 QuicksilverOne $1270; L&T $750; OpenSky $200; Fingerhut $300). Hopefully, in a years time, I won't have to experience being denied from every application. 

Thanks for listening to the long vent. I would appreciate any advice or testimonials from anyone in my situation. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So discouraged!

I would not be applying for anything until you clean up your profile.

The watch you were going buy, where you going to pay it off right away? or pay it overtime on the card? If you have the cash, you should pay debt off first.

I find out through out the time that buying electronics is just a great feeling that last for that instant.  The feeling for having a good credit profile last a lifetime.

Don't waste your money on those things, fix your profile first :-)

Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your words of wisdom. It was a gift. I paid for it outright. I just remembered from the forum that that particular card is easier to get and I need another bank on my profile, so I figured I would try. The only debt I have are student loans that are in repayment. Just had a period of time when I was unemployed out of school and couldn't afford the payments. Looking back, I wish I knew about deferments/hardship forbearances. Sighs. You live and you learn!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's right, you live and you learn!! this forum has unlimited amount of information for you to research and get your credit life back.  At this point, any extra $$ you have, throw it at your loans.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was going through my rebuild, I got a few secured cards, and cleaned up everything on my credit report and did not apply for another for an entire year after that.  Then, slowly I started to make the applications and while I didn't get all of them, I got a lot of them.  It's really a waiting game once you've done everything you can to clean everything up and of course being diligent in your handling whatever credit you have.  Just keep at it.  One year will come no matter what and you will be happier not having applied for anything in that year because I would think things will turn around for you.  

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great descision to give it some time. I too struggled initially and as a result collected a lot of unecesssay inq's which was a set back alone. It took a little time to build some decent credit but I too am still building and trying to make better decisions. Good Luck to you...keep up the good work....Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!!! I believe that. I'm going to be sitting on my hands. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Great descision to give it some time. I too struggled initially and as a result collected a lot of unecesssay inq's which was a set back alone. It took a little time to build some decent credit but I too am still building and trying to make better decisions. Good Luck to you...keep up the good work....Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely. Though easier said than done, patience is key. 

@Anonymous wrote:

When I was going through my rebuild, I got a few secured cards, and cleaned up everything on my credit report and did not apply for another for an entire year after that.  Then, slowly I started to make the applications and while I didn't get all of them, I got a lot of them.  It's really a waiting game once you've done everything you can to clean everything up and of course being diligent in your handling whatever credit you have.  Just keep at it.  One year will come no matter what and you will be happier not having applied for anything in that year because I would think things will turn around for you.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.