Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So excited... but not out of the woods yet

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So excited... but not out of the woods yet

Thanks to everyone here for being so helpful.  Poor credit gets so discouraging sometimes and it's helpful to read encouraging words from others as well as being able to see that you are not alone in this predicament.

I'm from NOLA and I ended up trashing my credit after Katrina.  After several years I closed my accounts (or they were closed for me) and paid off my balances.  For a stretch I kept sending out goodwill letter and had success with one company about 2 yes ago (Think it was Chase) because the charge was about to come off my report in a few months (from then) anyway.  I did not have much luck after that and figured that time would be the real factor to heal up my report.

I have about 5 baddies that need to come off of my report and starting in December they should start to roll off.

1 in December, another in March, 1 in June, and two in September.

Since I am getting close to the expiration, do you think there is any point in a new barrage of goodwill letters since things are set to come off my report in the next year (I'd love not to have to wait the better part of a year to get my score up there).

A related question:  Just because the calendar says that it should come off my report, I realize that it might not just roll off.  Even if they don't respond to the GW letters, does anyone know if I will have to send letters to the banks (or to the credit agencies??) to please request that they make sure to remove the item from my report.

Just checking on what are my next best steps?  What do you think.

Thanks everyone

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: So excited... but not out of the woods yet

I'd go ahead and send out another round of GW letters.  You might get lucky!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

No you do not have to send letters to the banks or credit agencies, to remind them to remove out dated info.

But now if the items are past the CRTP (credit reporting time period), you can dispute with the CRA's that they are obsolete.

Christmas season is coming, so maybe people will be in a good mood to grant GW's.Smiley Wink Keep trying.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

No you do not have to send letters to the banks or credit agencies, to remind them to remove out dated info.

But now if the items are past the CRTP (credit reporting time period), you can dispute with the CRA's that they are obsolete.

Christmas season is coming, so maybe people will be in a good mood to grant GW's.Smiley Wink Keep trying.

I like the thought of that!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.