Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So this just happened...

tag
abarcla1
New Contributor

So this just happened...

I just got a letter in the mail for the First Premier Account that I let go a few years ago.  The status of the account on my reports recently changed to PAID...but I didn't pay it.

So the letter I got is from Northland Group (but says the account owner is LVNV) offering to settle this debt for $209.94.

Here's the thing, there's nothing showing up from LVNV or Northland on my credit reports. 

I don't think a PFD would work, because the only thing showing is FPB.

Is there a chance this just hasn't hit my credit report yet and I'm going to have some crazy new CA?

I want to avoid that at whatever cost...

HELP!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: So this just happened...

Send them a DV.  If they validate, offer them a bit more than their settlement for not reporting.

Message 2 of 4
kade6767
Contributor

Just be careful. First Premiere is shady and they have all kinds of companies buying their accounts. Also, sometimes I have found even scam companies trying to pick up debts that are paid. I had an account with them that I closed, PIF, and zero balance. Fast forward 2 years I start getting collection letters from some odd company about this account, that I closed per my request. They were crazy. I sent them a legal letter threatening not only legal action but police involvement and never heard from them again.

Walmart Store Card $5,000 Bank of America Cash Rewards $4,500 Chase Amazon Visa $3,000 Capital One QS1 $1,250 Macy's $1,600
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Sending a DV is one, but not the only or necessarily the best, option.

As a preliminary, the dunning notice identified the current owner as one other than the OC, and you state that the debt is not paid.

Thus, the reporting of "paid" by the OC is/should be only a statement of $0 owed to them, not satisfaction of the debt. 

Regardless, if your goal is to avoid reporting of a collection, you kinda leave things in their hands with a DV, while tying your own.

By sending a DV (I presume it is timely), you invoke a cease collection bar on them until they provide debt verification.  As such, they can conduct no negotiations with you.

They can choose, seeing that the consumer is contesting the debt, simply provide verification at their convenience, and then immediatly report their collection.

Your option is to give them a call and request a pay for not reporting agreement, which will both satisfy the debt and prevent reporting.

If done promptly, and they balk, you may still have enough time to send a timely DV.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.