Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So upset! Care Credit

tag
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

So upset! Care Credit

Hi All,

So, I went to my dentist and forgot I had this care credit card from like a year or so ago on file with them. I've never used it because of the interest. Anyways my dentist has a new girl she charged the card for some dental work without telling me until she called to confirm the surgery appt. Anyhoo long story short I was like hell no I didn't authorize that, so she was like I'll credit the $4K amount back to your Care Credit card, and charge your bankcard -- she charged my bankcard and fine - they're paid. I just spoke with her last week and she confirms again that she credited the account back. I still haven't had the work done yet because well I've been busy. Today I get an alert my scores dropped low and behold my Care credit account shows full balance I had ($4K) charged. I called them just now and explained and the re[ wanted to transfer me to disputes. After asking her how long disputes take (she said upto  1-2 billing cycles to correct info). I'm sooooo upset right now. After some questions she suggested I call the provider and let them correct the error and it MIGHT take a week to show corrected in their system, but I'm more concerned with how long Synchrony takes to update my reports. I don't have a lot of revolving accounts so this shot my utilization up from 8% to 52% as Cap1 and Barneys haven't reported my limit increases yet. I also had a baddie fall off via early exclusion. So mad because this was an error that could've been avoided. I've been working hard so it was a major bummer to see me lose 24 points because of an error on my provider's staff end. Now, it may take a month or two to see the correction. Like what bank works so slow?

Does anyone know how long Synchrony takes to update reports?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: So upset! Care Credit

Typically all lenders only updates once per month with the exception of Chase, I believe who does mid cycle updates to balances paid to zero.  However, I am a little interested in why did you do a dispute with the card and the receptionist refunded the money back to the care credit card.  Also remember that utilization has no memory and the next month your score should reflect the same as if before.  However, you should no worry if you are not planning any app spree's or financing of some sort.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about your mishap.

Don't have CareCredit, but I know on the Synch accounts I have it is usually whatever the billing period is assuming there is activity on the card the preceding month.  Got an increase from Sam's last month and my statement cut on the 30th of last month, and CCT is showing the increase on my report. 

Message 3 of 9
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

@ Pway: I didn't dispite with Care Credit yet, the rep suggested I call the dentist office and get her to correct the mistake on her end as she believes this will only take a week to show in their system. She never credited the amount back according to Care Credit and the balance on my credit report. They were paid out of my personal funds from my bank account. I know uti doesn't have a memory but I was just let back in with Amex and I'm more concerned with them getting nervous with the score drop on Exp. I figured Synchrony won't update until next month, which sucks. I don't plan on apping for anything but like I loathe small errors like this because had I wanted to app for something I couldn't as of today. Plus I don't like that my dentist has $8K in monies for services no rendered yet. It just annoys me. I'm more venting but geesh, she assured me twice she corrected her own error.

Message 4 of 9
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry about your mishap.

Don't have CareCredit, but I know on the Synch accounts I have it is usually whatever the billing period is assuming there is activity on the card the preceding month.  Got an increase from Sam's last month and my statement cut on the 30th of last month, and CCT is showing the increase on my report. 

Thank you. Yeah it seems like I'll just have to wait. Just infuriates me that someone not doing what they claimed they would do affects my credit file so much. I've been a stickler for gardening and not apping, just taking the advice of board members. I've keep my uti down each month and then this happens. Maybe I'll see a score boost back up after Cap1 and Barneys reflect my new credit limits. Oh wells, guess I'll have a martini tonight to sooth my wounded credit soul. :Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@braznyc wrote:

@ @ Pway: I didn't dispite with Care Credit yet, the rep suggested I call the dentist office and get her to correct the mistake on her end as she believes this will only take a week to show in their system. She never credited the amount back according to Care Credit and the balance on my credit report. They were paid out of my personal funds from my bank account. I know uti doesn't have a memory but I was just let back in with Amex and I'm more concerned with them getting nervous with the score drop on Exp. I figured Synchrony won't update until next month, which sucks. I don't plan on apping for anything but like I loathe small errors like this because had I wanted to app for something I couldn't as of today. Plus I don't like that my dentist has $8K in monies for services no rendered yet. It just annoys me. I'm more venting but geesh, she assured me twice she corrected her own error.

I've only been with Amex for 4 months, so I don't know to say.  If the dentist office gets it corrected within the next month before the next statement cuts, then Amex might consider it a one off expense that was taken care in a timely manner and that you're not consistently carrying large balances.  I got a new furnace in August and charged it to my Lowe's card and will have it paid off by December and nothing has happened regarding my Amex account. 

Message 6 of 9
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@braznyc wrote:

@ @ Pway: I didn't dispite with Care Credit yet, the rep suggested I call the dentist office and get her to correct the mistake on her end as she believes this will only take a week to show in their system. She never credited the amount back according to Care Credit and the balance on my credit report. They were paid out of my personal funds from my bank account. I know uti doesn't have a memory but I was just let back in with Amex and I'm more concerned with them getting nervous with the score drop on Exp. I figured Synchrony won't update until next month, which sucks. I don't plan on apping for anything but like I loathe small errors like this because had I wanted to app for something I couldn't as of today. Plus I don't like that my dentist has $8K in monies for services no rendered yet. It just annoys me. I'm more venting but geesh, she assured me twice she corrected her own error.

Noone will take your amex from you because of this error. If they look at your account, even if the charges were legit, they know this is medical, and not a VIctori's Secret card maxed out. there is only 2 things you need to do here, first, make sure the refund from your dentist is done and get a copy of the refund to your account from your dentist, and give it a few days and check your care credit account to make sure it posted.

Or a completely different route you could take dealing with the error that could bring more good back to you.

Since you said you worry about your utilization and you dont have too many revolving accounts, i assume you are paying for the medical expenses thru you own finances, cash, debit, check etc. Why did not you let them charge your care credit account, which she already did, and maxed it out, $4000/$4000, pay it off using the same funds as you are paying your dentist, then ask for a CLI from synchrony for care credit. Even if you never use it again, using and paying off $4k credit line immediately, you could easily get a cli of $3K to $5K if not more. And even if you never use that account again, here is a huge CLI to help you with your utilization.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 7 of 9
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Ksk and everyone. As of today the account shows the credit as its back to a zero balance. Sadly my scores are dropping hard. Now, EQ is down by 23 points. The folks at CC are facing me a letter and opening a dispute with each bureau. Otherwise I have to wait as stated by all who chimed in. I know they'll bounce back but it's disheartening to see my scores drop like this.

Pardon any typos on mobile.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@braznyc wrote:

Hi All,

So, I went to my dentist and forgot I had this care credit card from like a year or so ago on file with them. I've never used it because of the interest. Anyways my dentist has a new girl she charged the card for some dental work without telling me until she called to confirm the surgery appt. Anyhoo long story short I was like hell no I didn't authorize that, so she was like I'll credit the $4K amount back to your Care Credit card, and charge your bankcard -- she charged my bankcard and fine - they're paid. I just spoke with her last week and she confirms again that she credited the account back. I still haven't had the work done yet because well I've been busy. Today I get an alert my scores dropped low and behold my Care credit account shows full balance I had ($4K) charged. I called them just now and explained and the re[ wanted to transfer me to disputes. After asking her how long disputes take (she said upto  1-2 billing cycles to correct info). I'm sooooo upset right now. After some questions she suggested I call the provider and let them correct the error and it MIGHT take a week to show corrected in their system, but I'm more concerned with how long Synchrony takes to update my reports. I don't have a lot of revolving accounts so this shot my utilization up from 8% to 52% as Cap1 and Barneys haven't reported my limit increases yet. I also had a baddie fall off via early exclusion. So mad because this was an error that could've been avoided. I've been working hard so it was a major bummer to see me lose 24 points because of an error on my provider's staff end. Now, it may take a month or two to see the correction. Like what bank works so slow?

Does anyone know how long Synchrony takes to update reports?

Don't worry, UTI has no memory. All revolving accounts are reported once a month and as long as it gets credited back you'll be fine next report cycle.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.