Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what are my next steps?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what are my next steps?

First post here but I have been lurking in and out for a few months now.  I am simply seeking this communitys advice on the most efficient plan for rebuilding my credit.  I will keep it as brief and to the point as possible.  I won't bother boring anybody with my sap stories in regards to why some late payments exist in my history.  I am in a much better financial situation now thankfuly.  I also want to thank everybody in advance who offers me some guidance. 

CREDIT PROFILE:

Scores:

Credit Karma (Equifax) - 623

Credit Karma (TransUnion) - 626

Discover It (FICO TU) - 611

Capital One Platinum (TU) - 663

Inquiries:

Equifax - 5 (two are falling off in August)

Transunion - 3 (one falling off in July)

Total Accounts: 8

Credit Cards: 2

Discover It - $750 Limit (opened 04/2013)

NEVER missed a payment, perfect history.

I have requested CLI's multiple times, never been successful.  Seems ridiculous for 3 years of perfect history, usually PIF.

Capital One Platinum - $4,000 Limit (opened 02/2015)

When I was approved for this card it came with a $1k limit, had automatic increase to $4k.

Should I possible try to upgrade to a better card?  Maybe with the possible upgrade comes a CLI as well?

Store Cards: 1

Nordstrom/TD - $300 Limit (opened 05/2014)

NEVER missed a payment, perfect history.

Used this card once when I opened it, have never used it since. Should I cancel it? (It's not my oldest card) Or perhaps I would benefit by keeping it for file density and requesting a CLI?

Student Loans: 2

2 FedLoans - with exact same payment history, both accounts opened 02/2012 (first credit lines ever) I currently owe about $3k on each loan.

My first payments for the loans were due November of 2013 which was paid on time, as well as December of 13.

January 2014 is where the problem began.  For some reason Credit Karma is showing 01/14 as a 60 day late and 12/13 as OK.  How did it just skip a 30 day late?

Feburary 2014 is a 90 day late, followed by (five) 120 day lates.  August is reported as Unknown.  Since September of 2014 until now has been perfect history, no lates.  Again that is TWO accounts with mirrored payment reporting.  I am assuming the 120's on these loans are what are REALLY screwing me.  What is my best route? Pay the loans off? Keep them open? Goodwill for the lates to be removed? Please advise.

Auto Loan: 1

Hunting National - opened 04/2013 for about $20,000

April of 2013 through Nov of 13 was perfect payments.  December of 13 was a 30 Day late. 

2014 - Jan OK | Feb 30 | March OK | April 30 | May 60 | June OK | July OK | August 30

Ever since the 30 day late in August, perfect payment history.  I still owe about $12k on this loan.  Pay it off? Goodwill? Please advise.

Everything above ^^^ is my current open 6 accounts.  Below I will explain my 2 closed accounts.

Citi Foward Student Card - opened 03/2012 w/ $1,800 limit. 

This account ending up going into charge off status for about $1,800.  It lingered for some time and I eventually made payments to PAY IN FULL (not settled for less)

Credit Karma reports (Date of Last Payment) as Feb of 2015.  I am assuming that is when the CA (GC Services) was eventually paid in full.

Credit Karma reports (Account Status) Closed - Paid

Synchrony / Dick's Sporting Goods - opened 06/2013 (forget the limit, probably around a thousand)

Store card that eventually went into charge off status for $857 and sold to Portfolio Recovery Assoiciates.  I attempted to request a PFD multiple times (e-mails, letters, phone calls) nobody was willing to accept, in fact every representative I spoke with pretty much told me they don't do pay for deletes.  Out of frustation I just sent a check in full and paid the account off.  That was a few months ago.

CK Equifax reports this account status as (Closed - Transfer/Sold $0 balance) and shows no collections accounts.

CK TransUnion reports this account status as (Closed - Derogatory $0 balance) and shows this account as the only account in the collections tab.  The status in the collections tab reports status as "closed" w/ a $0 balance.  Why is this still in the collections section if it is PIF?

It also shows Collection Agency - COLLECTION

Original Creditor - COLLECTION

Hopefully I didn't type too much more than necessary.  So what are my next steps?  I would think a couple more credit cards could help?  If this is the case what are some cards you could recommend to me? Side note - Credit Karma is showing my approval odds VERY GOOD for the Chase Sapphire Preffered.  I am sure this cannot be the case and must be some type of marketing gimmick. Opinions?

What about looking for a personal loan would that tradeline help thicken my profile? 

Again, thank you very much and I look forward to the responses.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So what are my next steps?

Bump .... Any help???

Message 2 of 5
ladyjaye82
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First post here but I have been lurking in and out for a few months now.  I am simply seeking this communitys advice on the most efficient plan for rebuilding my credit.  I will keep it as brief and to the point as possible.  I won't bother boring anybody with my sap stories in regards to why some late payments exist in my history.  I am in a much better financial situation now thankfuly.  I also want to thank everybody in advance who offers me some guidance. 

CREDIT PROFILE:

Scores:

Credit Karma (Equifax) - 623

Credit Karma (TransUnion) - 626

Discover It (FICO TU) - 611

Capital One Platinum (TU) - 663

Inquiries:

Equifax - 5 (two are falling off in August)

Transunion - 3 (one falling off in July)

Total Accounts: 8

Credit Cards: 2

Discover It - $750 Limit (opened 04/2013)

I have requested CLI's multiple times, never been successful.  Seems ridiculous for 3 years of perfect history, usually PIF.

Capital One Platinum - $4,000 Limit (opened 02/2015)

When I was approved for this card it came with a $1k limit, had automatic increase to $4k.

Should I possible try to upgrade to a better card?  Maybe with the possible upgrade comes a CLI as well?

Store Cards: 1

Nordstrom/TD - $300 Limit (opened 05/2014)

NEVER missed a payment, perfect history.

Used this card once when I opened it, have never used it since. Should I cancel it? (It's not my oldest card) Or perhaps I would benefit by keeping it for file density and requesting a CLI?

Student Loans: 2

2 FedLoans - with exact same payment history, both accounts opened 02/2012 (first credit lines ever) I currently owe about $3k on each loan.

My first payments for the loans were due November of 2013 which was paid on time, as well as December of 13.

January 2014 is where the problem began.  For some reason Credit Karma is showing 01/14 as a 60 day late and 12/13 as OK.  How did it just skip a 30 day late?

Feburary 2014 is a 90 day late, followed by (five) 120 day lates.  August is reported as Unknown.  Since September of 2014 until now has been perfect history, no lates.  Again that is TWO accounts with mirrored payment reporting.  I am assuming the 120's on these loans are what are REALLY screwing me.  What is my best route? Pay the loans off? Keep them open? Goodwill for the lates to be removed? Please advise.

Auto Loan: 1

Hunting National - opened 04/2013 for about $20,000

April of 2013 through Nov of 13 was perfect payments.  December of 13 was a 30 Day late. 

2014 - Jan OK | Feb 30 | March OK | April 30 | May 60 | June OK | July OK | August 30

Ever since the 30 day late in August, perfect payment history.  I still owe about $12k on this loan.  Pay it off? Goodwill? Please advise.

Everything above ^^^ is my current open 6 accounts.  Below I will explain my 2 closed accounts.

Citi Foward Student Card - opened 03/2012 w/ $1,800 limit. 

This account ending up going into charge off status for about $1,800.  It lingered for some time and I eventually made payments to PAY IN FULL (not settled for less)

Credit Karma reports (Date of Last Payment) as Feb of 2015.  I am assuming that is when the CA (GC Services) was eventually paid in full.

Credit Karma reports (Account Status) Closed - Paid

Synchrony / Dick's Sporting Goods - opened 06/2013 (forget the limit, probably around a thousand)

Store card that eventually went into charge off status for $857 and sold to Portfolio Recovery Assoiciates.  I attempted to request a PFD multiple times (e-mails, letters, phone calls) nobody was willing to accept, in fact every representative I spoke with pretty much told me they don't do pay for deletes.  Out of frustation I just sent a check in full and paid the account off.  That was a few months ago.

CK Equifax reports this account status as (Closed - Transfer/Sold $0 balance) and shows no collections accounts.

CK TransUnion reports this account status as (Closed - Derogatory $0 balance) and shows this account as the only account in the collections tab.  The status in the collections tab reports status as "closed" w/ a $0 balance.  Why is this still in the collections section if it is PIF?

It also shows Collection Agency - COLLECTION

Original Creditor - COLLECTION

Hopefully I didn't type too much more than necessary.  So what are my next steps?  I would think a couple more credit cards could help?  If this is the case what are some cards you could recommend to me? Side note - Credit Karma is showing my approval odds VERY GOOD for the Chase Sapphire Preffered.  I am sure this cannot be the case and must be some type of marketing gimmick. Opinions?

What about looking for a personal loan would that tradeline help thicken my profile? 

Again, thank you very much and I look forward to the responses.

I would try to upgrade the Cap1 Platinum to a QS account. Make sure that you let them know you want the QS with no AF.

As far as Federal Loans who is the lender? Mine are through Nelnet and I have had zero luck getting any GW removals.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Bump .... Any help???

Apply for a second Cap One card. Get your current card upgraded to QS. Either call customer service or do an online chat though the website, I've done it both ways. You can request CLI's though the account management page at any time. They will give them out every six months on each account. New accounts they will generally give a CLI after 90 days (if you ask), and another one automatically at 6 months.

If you request a CLI and are turned down, don't fret over it - they will tell you the reason in a letter, and a posting in your account management page under the "documents" link. If the denial is for scoring reasons, take a look at the date of the report that the score is based on. If its more than a couple of months old, then just keep trying every few days until they pull a newer report with better scores (hopefully).

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the second CapOne card I should apply for? And when I ask to to upgrade my Platinum, I want the QS not the QS1, correct? What's the difference anyways?  What are some cards with other banks I could apply for?

My student loans are right through Fed Loan Servicing. Any good templates on student loan GW letters?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.