cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So which type of DV letter is the right choice?

tag
_John_Doe
Contributor

So which type of DV letter is the right choice?

A wealth of great information on the forum but I'm a little confused as to DV letters. Doing a search yields many different types of DV letters. Some long, some short. some with demands for documentation, some not. You get the idea.

if anyone can point me in the direction of a DV letter that will get the job done I'd be very appreciative. 

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ 709 EXP 702 TU 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: So which type of DV letter is the right choice?

Short and sweet is generally best.  Don't demand things they don't have to provide.

Something along the lines of:  I found this account xxxxxxxxxx on my CR.  Please validate.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Best to keep it short... simply that you request debt verification under FDCPA 809(b).

The reason why many DV templates you see floating around the net make additional "requirements" is that section 809(b) is vague, and only stipulates that they must "obtain" verification, and pass that along to the consumer.  Thus, what is and is not adequate verifcation is open to interpretation.

Most case law does not require that they provide any documentation, only that they have investigated and have reasonable basis for verification.  They dont have to share the basis.  However, some jurisdictions have held that debt verirication does require some form of documentation.  To enforce that minority interpretation requires you to get the issue before a judge in such a jurisdiction, and obtain a ruling to that effect in your specific case.

The only additional request specifically stipulated in section 809(b) is the right to the name and address of the original creditor.

In both a dunning notice and in response to a DV, the name of the original creditor is not required... only the name of the current creditor.

You must specifically include that request in a DV if you want that info.

Message 3 of 6
_John_Doe
Contributor

Thanks. So would something such as the following be sufficient? Is there additional data I should include/request?

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter in response to the phone call/letter received from you on (Date). In conformance to my rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), I am requesting you to provide me with a validation of the debt that you talked of earlier. Please note, this a not a refusal to pay, rather a statement that your claim is disputed and validation is demanded. (15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b))

I do hereby request that your office provide me with complete documentation to verify that I owe the said debt and have any legal obligation to pay you.

Thanks again!

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ 709 EXP 702 TU 700
Goal Score: 750

Message 4 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You could send that, I generally don't include any legaleze so to say.  I just ask for verification and for the original creditor name and amount.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

I would ditch the last paragraph, and replace with "I additionally request the name and address of the original creditor" if you are unsure of their identity.

Documentation is not a requirement of debt verification.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.