Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sol in louisiana

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sol in louisiana

I have 3 cc co sent to collection agencies sold and resold again. What is the sol? I believe I read 3 years but does it get reaged each time it was sold since I did not send a dv letter? How can I get this removed or should I just wait for it to fall off? Does anyone know what is the sol for medical collections?

thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sol in louisiana

Credit card debt is 3 years, but all other types of debt is 10.

No it does not reset when sold, SOL goes from the initial default, as long as you don't make partial payments and stop - thats essentially a new default with a new SOL

Note that SOL only applies to being sued in court, it has nothing to do with reporting time - that will always be 7 to 7.5 years from the initial default.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure first if I was still in sol. From here where should I go? Do I send dv to Calvert which is the ca or do I dispute with cra? My intention is not to pay it and have it stArt the 7 yr clock when I'm 1/2 in already
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The credit report exclusion period for a colledtion is no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of your first delinquency (DOFD) in the most recent chain of delinquency that immediately preceded the collection.  That date certain is fixed under FCRA 605(c) and is not extended based on any action of a debt collector.

Waiting for the collection to "fall off" is not the same as removal of the debt.

Credit report exclusion does two things.  It removes the collection from your credit scoring, and it makes the fact of any unpaid, delinquent debt harder to discover.

One cannot become aware of it by way of a simple pull of your credit repot, and seeing an unpaid collection.

Paying is up to you once credit report exclusion, and particualrly SOL, has expired, but it does result in discharge of the debt.

Unpaid, deliquent debt can still be an obstacle to attainment of new credit, as some creditors may insist on its payment prior to any approval of new credit.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying it does not restart the clock. It will still drop at 7.5 years from the DoFD.

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 3 cc co sent to collection agencies sold and resold again. What is the sol? I believe I read 3 years but does it get reaged each time it was sold since I did not send a dv letter? How can I get this removed or should I just wait for it to fall off? Does anyone know what is the sol for medical collections?

thanks

Medical is written contract in LA and SOL is 10 years. I would follow these steps to handle medical CAs

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.