Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold CC Debts still reporting as a balance

tag
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Sold CC Debts still reporting as a balance

I had a First Premier card and an HSBC card in 05 that both went deliquent.  Last year both have been paid through collection agencies but when I called and asked why they are still showing a balance the rep I spoke with told me its due to it being sold delinquent and it'll show a balance until the SOL ends.  Is this correct because my CC utilization is seriously hurting due to these debts.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sold CC Debts still reporting as a balance

For clarification...are they paid off?

Did the CA ever report a balance?

Message 2 of 8
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Yes the balanceon both was sold. The First Premier account was sold to another agency before it was sold to Jefferson Capital which I participated in the fresh start program, which then reported the emblem card as good standing.   I called the first CA agency that FP told me it was sold to and they stated they have no record of my acct due to it being sold also.  Either way the balance is still reporting as a revolving balance hurting my utilization and it was a sold and paid debt.

I spoke with HSBC and they told me to send a letter in to the VP and they will handle my issue.

Message 3 of 8
BrokeBandit
Established Member

Do you mean First Premier is still reporting a balance?  Once the original creditor charges it off it is supposed to show a balance of $0

Message 4 of 8
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Yes First Premier is still reporting the balance.  The rep was very adament in that stating since it was sold at a delinquent balance then the balance will still show on my report as revolving for 7 years.  I then asked if it was a sold debt and she stated yes.  She also got mad when I asked her if it should by law report as zero once its sold.

What sucks about the whole thing is I used the score simulator and put that I paid the deliquent First Premier balance and my estimated EQ score was around 670.  This is killing my utilization.

Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If a CL is being reported, and the balance is not $0, then it hurts. IMO, it is reporting incorrectly. I'd call again and really drill it into them that they are mis-reporting. Go beyond the frontline CSRs and aim for the higher ups.

ETA...also, never take their word as the truth. More often than not, they are wrong. So if they tell you they can report that way, then call their credibility into question (diplomatically of course).

Message 6 of 8
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Called them again and spoke with a "supervisor" who then stated I didnt know what I was talking about.  She then told me that since the debt was sold I need to have the collection agency change their status but the CA never reported.  I called all three bureaus and explained my situation and all of the reps told me to disupute the items and if they still report a balance I need to contact a lawyer for legal action. 

Message 7 of 8
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Update....I disputed the first premier and they have changed the balance owed to 0 and have taken a few latest off also. That resulted in a 38 point gain on my EQ. Now I'm waiting for TU to update now and am still seeing what's going to happen with Continental Finance since I'm disputing it also and filed an FDIC complaint with them since I disputed the same info last year with them and they verified instead of change the past due balance as requested since it was paid.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.