cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Advice Needed

tag
Maksmom

Some Advice Needed

In July 2011, our lease was not renewed by our apartment complex. We moved and left a forwarding address. Thought that was the end of it. Fast forward several years later and there is a collection from Rentdebt Automated Collections for $1486. We never received any type of communication regarding this debt. A few days ago, I pulled my husband's report and it is showing as a judgement on his report. He is a sub-contractor so he doesn't have a "paycheck" that can be garnished.

The sol in my state is 3 years. If I dv this, could they garnish my wages since we were both on the lease? I would appreciate anyone's feedback. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Some Advice Needed

Hello,

I would DV it just to find out what it is, if the SOL in your state is 3 years, you can't be sued.

It also sounds like you weren't properly served so I would try to get this judgement vacated. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

First thing I would do is contact the court that granted the judgment and see whos names are on it, then if you never received proper service I would file motion to vacate on grounds that you were improperly served and it its granted and then its past states SOL a lawsuit cannot be granted a judgment in their favor should you assert the SOL as your defense. If there is no judgment then I would verify its past states SOL and then DV the reporting CA, it it sticks then you can begin negotiations for a PFD.

Message 3 of 4
Maksmom

Thank you for the information. I will check with the court next week.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.