cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some advice on rebuilding credit. I hope it can help someone.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some advice on rebuilding credit. I hope it can help someone.

I have gained an immense amount of knowledge by reading online forums and I am very thankful that people take time to post it, so I want to try to give back or pay it forward by sharing what I know thus far about the process of rebuilding. If you are looking to rebuild your credit I hope the following will help you.

First of all, before you do anything, get your finances in order. Find ways to cut your spending and find ways to make some extra income. You may be unable to suddenly find ways to make additional money, but there are usually always ways that you can cut down on your outgoing money. Instead of going out on the town and spending money, spend time reading about credit. It may not be as fun, but all it costs is an internet connection and your time. It will be time well spent as you learn about ways to increase your credit score and it will save you money as it will occupy your time for no cost. I personally spent countless hours searching the internet to learn more about credit.

My story: I became determined to improve my credit and my finances after years of not really caring about it. When I was younger I made mistakes with credit cards, I was irresponsible and didn't pay them. First thing I did, was found ways to cut down on my spending and ways to make some extra income. Then I started paying down installment loans that I have. Not only did paying down the loans feel good, it gave my score a little boost. During this time I spent a lot of my time reading all that I could find on credit rebuilding. I then got a Credit Karma account (free and will show you what is on your Equifax and Transunion reports, DO NOT believe that their scores are accurate, they are pretty much irrelevant to the real world, so ignore their scores). I then got an account on here and on Transunion, Equifax and Experian. Of course that adds up to a lot of money every month, but it was worth the cost to me to really see what was going on with my credit. I am now in the process of cancelling some subscriptions, not sure which ones I will keep yet.

Once I was able to view my reports it gave me a clearer picture as to where I was. I found that most of my derogatories were facing the 7 year mark. First thing I did was dispute some information with each bureau that I did not believe was accurate information. I will admit that this was a confusing process as the account were old and information about them on my end was pretty much non-existent. Anyway I disputed what I believed to be inaccurate and to my surprise several charge off accounts were removed, some remained but updated to being paid and closed (which they were never paid). So I am not really sure how the disputes that I had worked so well in my favor but they did. Also during the dispute process one of the two collections I had on Transunion was deleted. After disputing what I felt was incorrect information I then contacted the credit bureaus to ask for early exclusions on a few charge offs that were pushing the 7 year mark. I had some success after a few requests with each bureau and got some more derogatory accounts deleted, not all gone, but most of them. As far as 1 remaining collection on my reports, I hired a consumer law attorney to deal with the debt collector and within a few days of acquiring the attorney, the collection accounts disappeared from all three bureaus. I still do have a couple negative accounts on my report which I will have to wait a little longer before I ask for an early exclusion on them. That is my cleanup story.

Then after getting my reports cleaned up a bit, I got a secured Capital One card. Then I got a regular Capital One card. I cannot say enough good about Capital One as they are one of the remaining charge offs on my credit report. Capital One definitely does second chances, at least in my case they did. The secure card just reported last month and gave my score a significant boost, I am still waiting for the second one to report, which I expect a slight increase to my scores once that happens. I am going to go for a third card soon to maximize my potential for growth and then take a break from applying for credit for a while.

Long story short, my advice is for anyone trying to rebuild: 1)Get your finances together 2)Read, read and read some more about credit 3) make sure you know what is on your credit reports. Get them!! 4) Work on paying down any open accounts that you have 5) If you feel that there is inaccurate information on your reports, dispute it 5) if you are close to the 7 year mark on negatives, ask for early exclusions, don't give up if you are told no, keep asking and keep asking and eventually you may get a rep that will grant you the early exclusion 6) make sure you get some credit lines, start out with secured cards if you have to, but get some positive information reporting 7) don't delay your rebuilding efforts because it takes time, be patient but be persistent

These are just some of the things I have to offer now and I really hope that it can help someone. All of our situations are different, so make sure you do thorough research about your own situation, be armed with as much knowledge as you can be.  I used to be under the impression that there is nothing you can do about your credit score, I thought you had to let time run its course, I was very wrong. There are many things that you can do, but as I said earlier do not procrastinate because it does take some time.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

Re: Some advice on rebuilding credit. I hope it can help someone.

Thanks for the tips. I just reported some things I found to be inaccurate with my credit reports just yesterday. I'm hoping they come off soon!

Are you saying you contacted the credit reporting agencies to remove some of your older derogatory accounts?

I'm trying to get my reports cleaned up so that I qualify for better offers of credit and to be able to finance a new hvac unit in the next year or so. So I thank you for your advice!
Slowly rebuilding, learning as I go, but that's the beauty of learning...You never have to stop!

Current FICO scores: EX: 664 TU: 650 EQ: 668

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips. I just reported some things I found to be inaccurate with my credit reports just yesterday. I'm hoping they come off soon!

Are you saying you contacted the credit reporting agencies to remove some of your older derogatory accounts? Yes, if you have derogatory accounts that contain incorrect information you can dispute that incorrect information and it may result in the entire thing being deleted or at least changed which may be helpful to you. If there is nothing incorrect to dispute but you are close to the 7 year mark you can ask the bureaus for an "early exclusion". The 7 year time frame begins from the date of the first delinquency that led to the charge off and/or collection. Known as DOFD. It basically means the date of the first missed payment that led to the charge off. Experian and Equifax seem to do the early exclusion 3 months prior to the 7 year mark and Transunion seems to do early exclusions 6 months from the 7 year mark. As I said earlier if you are first denied for an early exclusion, try again. I had to go through a couple different reps on a couple of accounts to get the ok to early exclusion.

I'm trying to get my reports cleaned up so that I qualify for better offers of credit and to be able to finance a new hvac unit in the next year or so. So I thank you for your advice! You are welcome and I wish you the best of luck with your clean up efforts.

Message 3 of 6
MsDarby
Established Member

That is so awesome to know about the early exclusion. I am working with Lexington Law. I know a lot of people have had trouble with them, but I am so busy with work, school and the kids, that I don't have time. I tried disputing things on my own and I have not been successful. So, I am keeping them until June perhaps. 

I had a CO and a CA on all 3 of my reports and then both items were removed from Transunion by Lexington Law. I was, at that time about  6 months from the 7 year mark. Now, I am about 2 months. I pulled all of my reports and saw that EX had a removal date of April 2015 for the CA but not the CO.  I think that Lexington Law has asked for Early Exclusion, now that you have mentioned it. This would be awesome, as I am only about 30 pts away from a Mid-level 640 score to apply for an FHA mortgage with down payment assistance and closing cost assistance. 

Thanks for your inspiring story. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is so awesome to know about the early exclusion. I am working with Lexington Law. I know a lot of people have had trouble with them, but I am so busy with work, school and the kids, that I don't have time. I tried disputing things on my own and I have not been successful. So, I am keeping them until June perhaps. 

I had a CO and a CA on all 3 of my reports and then both items were removed from Transunion by Lexington Law. I was, at that time about  6 months from the 7 year mark. Now, I am about 2 months. I pulled all of my reports and saw that EX had a removal date of April 2015 for the CA but not the CO.  I think that Lexington Law has asked for Early Exclusion, now that you have mentioned it. This would be awesome, as I am only about 30 pts away from a Mid-level 640 score to apply for an FHA mortgage with down payment assistance and closing cost assistance. 

Thanks for your inspiring story. 
You're welcome and thank you for sharing your story as well.

I suppose credit repair companies may be useful to some people but the problem that I see with them is that if they charge monthly then that means that they will be in no hurry to take care of business and will drag things out longer than need be in order to get more money from their customers. With Transunion you can ask for an early exclusion 6 months from the 7 year mark and with Experian and Equifax it is usually 3 months from the 7 year mark. There is absolutely no need at all to pay a credit repair company to do this, all you need to do is have a copy of your report in front of you can call up the bureaus and ask for early exclusion on the account/s approaching the 7 year mark.

Message 5 of 6
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Something I would add for the newbies......

Part of the reason the OP had such success was due to the age of the baddies.  When accts are old, it is harder for the OC or CA to verify and often will delete them.  If your COs are really new (less than 2 yrs old), I guarantee the OC has great data to verify with.  This kind of CO is MUCH harder to get rid of and will take a concerted effort to get them removed (if ever) before they age off.

This is not to disuade newbies but to set up appropriate expectations.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.