Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some collection agency sending mails for 8 years old account

tag
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Some collection agency sending mails for 8 years old account

I have just received a letter from West Bay Acquistions collection money for Audubon Collection Agency for a CHASE credit card account that i opened in 2006 and was first delinquent on March 2007. This account was on my credit report since 2007 till March 2014 when it got deleted due to 7 year age. In between i had paid this account off to Audubon before. Now they are claiming the account is still not closed and i have to pay again. Unfortunately i cant find the last payment confirmation letter. My question is can i just ignore them ? Can they put the account back on my report? They said they can put the account back though it was deleted, bcause the account will be newly listed under a new company and not CHASE. Is this true? I thought though a collection account get bought by any new collection agency they cannot re-age and will show the original creditor always on the report.

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

Re: Some collection agency sending mails for 8 years old account

Legally, they are not supposed to report it. And, afaik, they are in violation by telling you that they can. If it shows up, call the CRAs and let them know whats going on. If you know the acct is PIF, personally I would send them a C&D. It's likely beyond the SOL, so there's not much they can do anyway.

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Some collection agency sending mails for 8 years old account

@sghosh5 wrote:

I have just received a letter from West Bay Acquistions collection money for Audubon Collection Agency for a CHASE credit card account that i opened in 2006 and was first delinquent on March 2007. This account was on my credit report since 2007 till March 2014 when it got deleted due to 7 year age. In between i had paid this account off to Audubon before. Now they are claiming the account is still not closed and i have to pay again. Unfortunately i cant find the last payment confirmation letter. My question is can i just ignore them ? Can they put the account back on my report? They said they can put the account back though it was deleted, bcause the account will be newly listed under a new company and not CHASE. Is this true? I thought though a collection account get bought by any new collection agency they cannot re-age and will show the original creditor always on the report.

I suggest you find the proof of payment and then file CFPB complaint and a complaint to your states AG against them for extortion. The CA has to work from the OCs DOFD they can report it till Sep 14 if they wish so you may be looking at 2 more months on your report but I would just ignore and do what I have suggested. Oh if they do report it I would add request for 1K to the complaint to the CFPB for violations of credit reporting... Knowingly reporting a CA unpaid when its been paid is illegal...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.