Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some disputes verified...what's next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some disputes verified...what's next?

Hello! New to the so rich forum! glad to be here. I am in the process of repairing my credit as well. As of a couple months ago EX 599, TU 529 and EQ 555...not great!

I have disputed a total of 11 items (all collections, mostly medical) so far, TU deleted 9 of them, EX only 1 deleted and EQ no words (which I sent today the following letter since it's been almost 60 days).

My question is...I am thinking about sending some DV letters now to the same creditors since they seem to have "verified" with EX? Is this a good move or straight try the PDF even though I think the insurance should have paid them...old, all out of SOL? Please advise?

To add to my "fun", my SW here alerted me that a new CO has been added to my account! A Midland (T-mobile) from 2008! I have been a T-mobile customer for the past 4 years until last June when I changed provider and I didn't owe them a thing. I called them and they're saying it's an old account but they don't have more information that i should contact Midland! I don't know how to go by with this. Do I dispute this or DV the CA? this addition made my EQ dropped from 577 to 555 now, probably on the others two but haven't bought the scores yet.

thanks in advance for your inputs!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some disputes verified...what's next?

Also, I am a newbie to this...I saw that on the updated CR that EX sent to me, they have listed that they deleted only one item off of the 5 accounts (all medical) that I have with that CA but they failed to list on my report the other 4 accounts that I also disputed (from one creditor). What is that mean? Have they been deleted or are they still under investigation therefore didn't put them back on my updated record? Please advise if you have seen this before?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Be careful dealing with collection agencies you would be better dealing with T Mobile have them send you the infromation. I would also talk to the providers of the medical serivces that are showing on your credit report and get the information from them. After you have checked the informatrion then look at possible solutions.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you know for sure that they are legit then you can PFD, but see if you can have a rep from the insurance co dig up the dates of service and see what they paid and what they didn't.  My whole thing was ex being on my insurance, that was 100% covered after the $7000 deductible.  But her derogs were charged before deductible was met.

Message 4 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

OPT OUT!!!!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Disputes and DV letters are for different purposes.  YOu can send both.

A DV letter is a request for the debt collector to validate, through concurrence from the OC, that the debt is verified as legitimate.  DV letters relate to debt collection practices under the FDCPA, and are used to require a debt collector to obtain affirmance of the debt, and to require the debt collector to cease all collection activities until such time as they provide the requested debt verification.  Except for consumers residing in Texas, debt collectors are not required to provide debt validation at any specific time.  Their "penalty" for not doing so is their inability to continue active collection of the debt.

In order to invoke the debt validation provisions of the FDCPA, DV letters must be timely.  While you can send a DV letter at any time, they invoke no provisions of the FDCPA unless sent within 30-days after their date of dunning notice to the consumer.  TExas residents have the additional requirements of theri own state debt collection statute, so can still send a timely DV after expiration of the federal FDCPA period.

Disputes under the FCRA are for the purpose of challenging the accurateness of specific items of information that have been reported to your credit file.  What is verified in response to a dispute under the FCRA is the accuracy of the reported information. 

If you send a DV and the OC cannot verify to the debt collector that the debt is valid, then legally the debt collector cannot send you verification of the debt under FDCPA 809(b).  Similary, if you dispute a reported item of information that occured as a result of the debt, and the party who reported it cannot verify its accuracy, then they are required to so notify the CRA, and delete the unverifiable information.  The big advantage to the FCRA dispute process that does not apply to the federal FDCPA is that response to disputes have a compulsory period for conclusion, which is in most cases 30-days from the date of your dispute.

Two paths around the barn that could still get you to the same point.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called T-mobile and they said that they do not have the account anymore and that any information that I need to know as far as amount, dates will need to be obtained through Midland! They just said that it's an old account...unbelievable since I know they couldn't let me open another account without paying the debt, I am sure that i paid it before that account that I kept for 4 years until I changed provider in June! I live in TX, so I am thinking about requesting the CA a verification letter showing all details?

Thank you all for your inputs.

Message 7 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

My caution about collection agencies is due to the fact some will say anything if you will pay the bill as a result.  A debt validation letter for the old T mobile account  is a good plan. You can use it as needed.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 10
Maldanado
Valued Member

I went through this with Midland also. The only problem was I didn't do a DV, because I didn't find out that they had my account until it hit my credit reports. I first reached out to TMobile and they couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything about the account (also from 2008). I didn't believe that I owed the amount that Midland was trying to collect. So I called Midland and did a Paid in Full for 50% of the amount.

So next I disputed the account with all 3 agencies, and of course it came back as paid with $0 balance collection. So at this point I am having it re-investigated questioning the original creditor's balance and asking verification.

If you have the option of doing the DV with the OC, you should definitely do it. Or else you can end up taking the long way around like me.

Starting Score: 628EQ 597TU
Current Score: 690EQ 662TU 669EX (lender pull)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent the DV letter today to Midland (CMRR) since I really have doubt about this sudden debt so I need proof before I do any type of settlement with them. I even wanted to go with the dispute with the bureaus as soon as I will know that they receive the letter to get them to respond and validate within the 30 days before the bureaus but still thinking about that method...not sure yet!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.