cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions on how statuses should show up, and what will affect my score?

tag
chbartel
Regular Contributor

Some questions on how statuses should show up, and what will affect my score?

Some questions on how statuses should show up, and what
will affect my score?

I'm in credit rebuild process and getting collection
accounts paid, settled, and getting rid of inacruicies
on my credit report. There is ways some items are
reported but unsure how that is affecting things and
whether I should be disputing them? I've not seen a
lot of info after reading quite a lot on this and other
boards, so I hope I am not reposting a question already
asked.

1)I just paid a Citi card for less than owed. Balance
shows as 0 now on my credit reports, but status on
equifax says "charge off". Should I be disputing this
or does that even affect my credit score?
2)CApital One credit card shows a balance owed, shows status of charge-off, but this account is actually with an attorney now who has a judgement for amount owed. From what I have read, doesn't the original creditor need to mark this as a 0 balance and mark as closed(currently shows under condition as "open") since it shows as a judgement now with a balance on that judgement. They have told me they can't talk to me and I have to talk with the attorney to get settled now.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some questions on how statuses should show up, and what will affect my score?

@chbartel wrote:

Some questions on how statuses should show up, and what
will affect my score?

I'm in credit rebuild process and getting collection
accounts paid, settled, and getting rid of inacruicies
on my credit report. There is ways some items are
reported but unsure how that is affecting things and
whether I should be disputing them? I've not seen a
lot of info after reading quite a lot on this and other
boards, so I hope I am not reposting a question already
asked.

1)I just paid a Citi card for less than owed. Balance
shows as 0 now on my credit reports, but status on
equifax says "charge off". Should I be disputing this
or does that even affect my credit score? No, this is not a valid reason for disputing. They accepted less than what was owed and by law the difference is a 'charge off' on their books.
2)CApital One credit card shows a balance owed, shows status of charge-off, but this account is actually with an attorney now who has a judgement for amount owed. From what I have read, doesn't the original creditor need to mark this as a 0 balance and mark as closed(currently shows under condition as "open") since it shows as a judgement now with a balance on that judgement. They have told me they can't talk to me and I have to talk with the attorney to get settled now. No, the balance does not go to zero until it's either paid or its sold off to a junk debt buyer. Getting a judgement has nothing to do with it how its reported. I suggest you contact the attorney before they seize any bank accounts they might find, or garnish your wages. Unless you are 'judgement proof'.

Message 2 of 4
chbartel
Regular Contributor

Re: Some questions on how statuses should show up, and what will affect my score?

I've been working with all the creditors to get things paid off, one at a time.  I have had correspondence with them several times, and currently they are willing to accept about 50% of what is owed.  I had a few other creditors accept less than 50%, so I have been paying them off, will circle back around to these other creditors in a few months and see what kind of deal I can get at that time.

Both judgements are about 3 years old now.

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@chbartel wrote:

Some questions on how statuses should show up, and what will affect my score? Most everything thats reported on a TL affects your score in one way or another.

I'm in credit rebuild process and getting collection accounts paid, settled, and getting rid of inacruicies on my credit report. There is ways some items are reported but unsure how that is affecting things and whether I should be disputing them? You only want to launch a dispute if something is reporting in error.  I've not seen a lot of info after reading quite a lot on this and other boards, so I hope I am not reposting a question already asked.

1)I just paid a Citi card for less than owed. Balance shows as 0 now on my credit reports, but status on equifax says "charge off". Should I be disputing this or does that even affect my credit score? Once an account becomes a CO its always a CO even if you settle and pay it off. A CO does affect your score in a negative way, the older it looks to Fico the less it hurts.

2)CApital One credit card shows a balance owed, shows status of charge-off, but this account is actually with an attorney now who has a judgement for amount owed. From what I have read, doesn't the original creditor need to mark this as a 0 balance and mark as closed(currently shows under condition as "open") since it shows as a judgement now with a balance on that judgement. They have told me they can't talk to me and I have to talk with the attorney to get settled now. On the judgment, when you make your offer to settle you want to ask that it be vacated once its been paid, if they wont do it see if you can file a motion to vacate on grounds its been paid yourself, you can look up the reasons allowed for filing motion to vacate in your states codified laws that control the civil court system.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.