Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some success and some questions on next steps to take

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some success and some questions on next steps to take

First and foremost I'm very thankful I've found these forums as they have helped me tremendously. I am always searching on here and reading up on things and trying to better understand my situation and how I can fix it. 

First my successes, Since 10/2014 I've been able to buy a new car, I've also added a few credit cards to my report. 

I have the following:

Cap1 Platinum: $300

Cap1 QS1 MC: $300

Kay Jewlers: $5100

Credit One: $300 original CL, now $450 ( I want to ditch them for their fees and BS )

Cabelas Visa: $1000

Total: $7150. 

I only carry balances on the Cap1 cards which I pay off severa times monthly and am almost at a $0 balance on the Credit One account as I'm done using it.

I am about to hit my 3rd statement on the GS1 and the 2nd statement for the plat just hit. I tried the Luv button but was denied due to the age of the accounts. My scores have gone up about 15 points since I was approved on both back in Nov.

Now the baddies, my Auto Loan situation and some backround

So before October 2014 I couldn't get a CC or an Auto Loan. Luckily I have a friend that is a General Manager at a dealership and he helped me get an auto loan with a 545 credit score with a rate of 12.99% which I was very happy about as other friend have had similar results but with an APR of 17-24%

I've been debating about trying to refi this loan but am gonna wait until I'm in the 650 score range I think. I'm currently 610 TU and a 624 EQ

I had 4 collections on my report a week ago. One was one with ERC for a Comcast CO that I had no knowledge of. I disputed it and it was removed.

The next three are 3 cards I let go because I was young and wasn't thinking of the ramifications of doing this paired with losing my job in 2008 ( most people credit troubles inception).

That leaves a Cap1 CO with a $1,089 balance that has a DOFD 03/2013. The bad thing about this one is I originally defaulted long before that but I contacted them trying to make good on the account and they told me if I paid it down to a certain amount they'd reopen it. I did the next day and they chose to keep the card close which angered me. I was young and made the wrong decidion to let it go to collections instead of just paying it off.

It has now taught me a lesson. Cap1 has even given me a second chance with two new cards ( $300 CL each ). Portfolio Recovery owns this and it looks like I need to leave this one alone for at least another year so it can pass SOL. 

The second is from an HSBC card which is showing as closed with a balance of $575 through which is $234 more than the $341 originally charged off on that card. The DOFD on that card 06/2010. Should I try to PFD on this? Also it's past SOL so should I offer less and if so how much? 

The last CO is for First Premier with is with Midland. Chargeoff amount says $0 but amount past due says $487. DOFD is 11/2009. It is also past SOL so should I do a PFD on this? What should I offer? Or since 11/2009 means that on 11/2016 I will reach 7 years on this CO I should wait for it to drop off. I'm not buying a house for at least another 1.5 years.

From what I can tell these are my only baddies left on my report.

Thanks for taking the time to read my succes and background story and for any insight.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some success and some questions on next steps to take

@Anonymous wrote:

First and foremost I'm very thankful I've found these forums as they have helped me tremendously. I am always searching on here and reading up on things and trying to better understand my situation and how I can fix it. 

First my successes, Since 10/2014 I've been able to buy a new car, I've also added a few credit cards to my report. 

I have the following:

Cap1 Platinum: $300

Cap1 QS1 MC: $300

Kay Jewlers: $5100

Credit One: $300 original CL, now $450 ( I want to ditch them for their fees and BS )

Cabelas Visa: $1000

Total: $7150. 

I only carry balances on the Cap1 cards which I pay off severa times monthly and am almost at a $0 balance on the Credit One account as I'm done using it.

I am about to hit my 3rd statement on the GS1 and the 2nd statement for the plat just hit. I tried the Luv button but was denied due to the age of the accounts. My scores have gone up about 15 points since I was approved on both back in Nov.

Now the baddies, my Auto Loan situation and some backround

So before October 2014 I couldn't get a CC or an Auto Loan. Luckily I have a friend that is a General Manager at a dealership and he helped me get an auto loan with a 545 credit score with a rate of 12.99% which I was very happy about as other friend have had similar results but with an APR of 17-24%

I've been debating about trying to refi this loan but am gonna wait until I'm in the 650 score range I think. I'm currently 610 TU and a 624 EQ

I had 4 collections on my report a week ago. One was one with ERC for a Comcast CO that I had no knowledge of. I disputed it and it was removed.

The next three are 3 cards I let go because I was young and wasn't thinking of the ramifications of doing this paired with losing my job in 2008 ( most people credit troubles inception).

That leaves a Cap1 CO with a $1,089 balance that has a DOFD 03/2013. The bad thing about this one is I originally defaulted long before that but I contacted them trying to make good on the account and they told me if I paid it down to a certain amount they'd reopen it. I did the next day and they chose to keep the card close which angered me. I was young and made the wrong decidion to let it go to collections instead of just paying it off.

It has now taught me a lesson. Cap1 has even given me a second chance with two new cards ( $300 CL each ). Portfolio Recovery owns this and it looks like I need to leave this one alone for at least another year so it can pass SOL. I'd wait until the SOL passes

The second is from an HSBC card which is showing as closed with a balance of $575 through which is $234 more than the $341 originally charged off on that card. The DOFD on that card 06/2010. Should I try to PFD on this? Also it's past SOL so should I offer less and if so how much? PFD is usually a full payment for removal

The last CO is for First Premier with is with Midland. Chargeoff amount says $0 but amount past due says $487. DOFD is 11/2009. It is also past SOL so should I do a PFD on this? What should I offer? Or since 11/2009 means that on 11/2016 I will reach 7 years on this CO I should wait for it to drop off. I'm not buying a house for at least another 1.5 years. Let the Midland account go as you have less than a year left on it before it falls off.

From what I can tell these are my only baddies left on my report.

Thanks for taking the time to read my succes and background story and for any insight.

Credit is a marathon. I was able to fix mine in about 6 months and my situation was similar to yours. I was fortunate 90% of my bad items were from 2008 and 2009 and were scheduled to fall off soon after I started my rebuild last May. Hang in there and be patient and your scores will rise in no time.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some success and some questions on next steps to take

Thanks for the insight. I'll work on that PFD. If they agree I'll pay it if not I guess I'll wait until it drops off this year. I'm upset I screwed myself on the capital one one. Oh well live and learn.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.