New Contributor

Someone explain this...

Balance Change details

Balance Change

• Type
  • All Bankcard
  • Total Balance
  • $3,325.00

This dropped my TU score by 15 points. This is roughly the same balance it has been for a few months. Why is this reporting like it's new?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Someone explain this...

Dropped 11 points today after I paid down my credit card significantly. Waiting on the others to refresh tomorrow and see if I get an increase or decrease. Very frustrating!
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 623(a)(2) requires any party who has reported information to a CRA to promptly update that information as needed to maintain its current accuracy.

As a balance changes, they should be updating.

Having said that, it is just a common for furnishers not to update the current balance whenever it changes, either due to additional interest or fees, or payments made.

It is thus a requirement that is routinely ignored.  However, if they do update, it is proper.

Message 3 of 8
JBB529
New Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

FCRA 623(a)(2) requires any party who has reported information to a CRA to promptly update that information as needed to maintain its current accuracy.

As a balance changes, they should be updating.

Having said that, it is just a common for furnishers not to update the current balance whenever it changes, either due to additional interest or fees, or payments made.

It is thus a requirement that is routinely ignored.  However, if they do update, it is proper.

I get that, but how does reporting the same balance that's been reported end up dropping a score?

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

How much is roughly the same?

Message 5 of 8
JBB529
New Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

$200 or so

Message 6 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@JBB529 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

$200 or so

it updates like this to keep your Fico depressed and hurt your ability to obtain new credit, its a weapon available to creditors as Fico picks them up as brand new items each time it updates.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I take it this is a revolving account? I had something like this happen once when a creditor dropped my credit limit and reported the decrease to the credit bureaus, messing up my utilization. Other than that not sure.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.