Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone please help!

Ok so I'm new at this! I have a Capital One Card I've had for 7 years. Never miss done payment always on time and pay well above minimum payment. I pay off every year! So now that you have the background info I'll get into it! I'm new to the mobile app I've always had auto pay or paid online. In November 2015 I set up a payment of $200 to me paid in December and Janurary 15th (due date) in November my email was compromised so I didn't have access to the email I get statements from. Unbeknownst to me those payments didn't process and I found out janurary 19th putting me 34 days past due! I talked to CS, emailed EO, and put in a disputed by phone to EO. CS and the EO seemed like they were going to remove the late. But then came back to say there was no error on there part and would give me a late payment credit! But isn't that admitting some guilty?!? So by advice from a lawyer I went to social media found there FB and chatted with them explaining the error. At first they said yes they followed the proper procedures. I said It was unacceptable that a client with such good payment status be treated this way and I was going to pay the balance, close my account, contact a lawyer, and shout from the rooftop how badly they treat good customers because there was an error on the mobile site! I suggested a simple call when the December payment didn't post would've taken care of it. Any other suggestions to get this removed? I'm supposed to close on our house soon and my score has really taken a hit!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Someone please help!

It is a billing related matter on a credit card, and thus you have additional recourse to filing a dispute underthe Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA), which has factual requirments not available to consumers under an FCRA dispute.

I would file an FCBA dispute with them, documenting how you feel you have a billing related error on their part.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your help! I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle! How do I contact FCBA? And what is your experience with them? I've heard the Capital one is extremely hard to deal with in situations like this! But have heard of other people saying the same problem with the mobile app.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand you are upset about your compromised email account. Did you not know it was compromised for two months? A good habit is to always check your accounts on the creditors website and follow your banking account as well to confirm payments.

Not everyone is as neurotic as I am but I have all the apps and check accounts usually daily or every few days to make sure all payments have cleared and that there are no fraudulent charges.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should also add that by them offering to credit back the late fee that is them extending goodwill towards you. Unfortunately there was a late and they are supposed to report accurate information to the CRA's.

You might have better luck with GW after a few months of proving it was a one time fluke in your payment history.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 emails. A personal and business email. My personal was compromised. I also check my account daily but I should add in December my debit card was compromised as well and my account was shut down for a week to get the charges stopped and under control without me having to open a new account. Yes I take responsibility for not catching it in December. It was a busy month with the perfect storm for me to be off my game of checking! I know the have to report accurately. But they can't even tell me why the payments didn't post nothing. It was the first time I used the app and my Nivember went through fine so I assumed Dec and Jan would as well. I wouldn't be so persistent if I knew Capital one never did courtesy adjustments but they have. I've read where other customers have had the same experience with the mobile app as well.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.