Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something I just noticed,

tag
jbrown773
Contributor

Something I just noticed,

I was looking at my last 2 collections and i noticed it said current balance 0, does that mean it was paid? all the other collections had the same current balance to the original one. This being said should I dispute the item saying it was paid? it falls off next year in sept which is only 6 years. Anyone know anything or had the same thing happen?

Collection agency [?] 

Original balance [?] 1516

Current balance [?] 0

Date assigned [?] JuL 2008

Account number [?] XXXXXXX

Account holder[?] Ind

Account descriptions [?] Medical

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Re: Something I just noticed,

Did you pay them? If not, it most likely means that they were sold off to another CA.

Message 2 of 6
jbrown773
Contributor

The account is going to drop off in a year, I dont remember if my insurane did or didnt, what would be the affects of disputing it?

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As stated, the reporting of a $0 balance under their collection most probably means that they are no longer collecting on the debt.

It does not necessarily mean the debt is paid.  If paid, they would have been required to report that status, so the inference is that it is not paid.

In a dispute, the initial burden on the consumer is to identify an inaccuracy, and provide sufficient documenation to permit an investigation of the asserted inaccuracy.

If you cannot state that you actually paid the debt, I see no basis for asserting an inaccuracy in the debt collector not having reported that you did.

Message 4 of 6
jbrown773
Contributor

Well I'm not sure if it is paid or not. Will calling the CA have any negative affect towards the collection? 

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Whether or not the debt has been satisfied is clearly a critical issue.

One reading your CR would most likely assume it is not.

Even after the collection becomes excluded, and thus itself will not provide indication of an unpaid delinquent debt, if it remains unpaid, it can still be an issue. 

When you app for new credit, you may be asked to list all debt, including any unpaid, delinquent debt, so the answer to that question will depend upon whether you paid it.

Contacting the debt collector will have no effect if they no longer are colecting on the debt, and they of course can tell you whether they received payment.

It is unlikely that they would report a $0 balance if neither paid nor their collection authority was still in force, so I dont see much peril.

If they sold the debt, it would give you the opportunity to get the name of the new owner, and thus shoot out a timely DV.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.