Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something seems fishy with a CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something seems fishy with a CA

I received a call today from a withheld number, generally something I don't answer.  The voicemail said I needed to call back some 800 number to deal with a legal issue in my county of residence. The company identified themselves as LLDE, LLC.  A google search showed similar calls, often threatening in nature, and what sounds to be a scam trying to collect old debts.

I tried to find info on the company, to no avail, and am hesitant to call them back as most reports I read said people who spoke with them were told "we need to serve you your papers, where and when can we?"

It could be legit, I have some old collection items on my CR that will fall off towards the end of the year, but NONE of the items mention this LLDE company.  My guess is if they are legit, they purchased the debt.

So should I call my OC's and verify this is who they sold it to?  Will that reset the SOL if I do?

My score is doing a lot better, getting close to 700.  I'd hate for a judgement if it is legit.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Something seems fishy with a CA

That is very fishy.  Papers have to go through a process server to be served and the process server will contact you directly and won't hide their phone number.  It really sounds like a scare tactic to me but whoever this company is can't serve you directly, only an appointee of the court can do that.  Also chances are, if your old items are going to fall off sometime this year then you are out of SOL and should be safe.  This is probably a last ditch effort to get something out of you. 

Message 2 of 4
kjm79
Valued Contributor

You can call the OC to see who you need to talk to should you want to take care of the account.  That won't re set the SOL, making a payment would however.  Could just be a JDB. 

I got an automated call for my DH from some "law firm" in Jersey, we're in AZ, and it left an 800 number to call.  We didn't call but I looked up the company.  We sent a DV and C&D combo letter.  Not a peep since.  Opt out of your reports if you have not already done so.

And fyi, private companies can have individuals that are authorized to be process servers so don't always assume that since it's not a court employee or sheriff that they can't serve you.  There are many means of alternative service.  If you've been tough to track down process servers can get pretty sneaky about how they locate you as well.  If you choose to wait this out, just keep on eye on your reports, your local papers in case someone tries to serve you by publication, and also check your local court systems online docketing to see if your name comes up in any legal actions. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

An update on this.

I called them back today.  3 times.  I called the number they left via voicemail (the number comes up on caller ID as withheld) at 855-630-9823.  Again, they left the name LLDE, which is next to impossible to find info on other than a google search, the most popular result being it's a scam based in Clearwater, FL.

ANYWAY, each time I called, it rang at least a dozen times.  The third time, it gave me a recording "you've reached the corporate office".  Um...no mention of LLDE.  Odd.

I'm going to keep trying to contact them.  Basically, all I intend to do is ask them "I spoke to somebody there the other day, and I'd like to send you a DV letter.  Can you please confirm your firm name, address, and telephone number."

Something doesn't smell right, and I feel this will make them run for the hills.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.