Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse's old account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spouse's old account

My spouse had a balance at a dentist office for $550 back from 1995-1998.  I used this same dentist several years ago and they have since added her balance to my account and report this to the credit agencies.  What, if anything, can I do about this?  And if I can get this remove, will it be added to her credit?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spouse's old account

I do not believe that is legal without your permission. The old bill was far past SOL and would, by law, have been charged off and the account closed.

Message 2 of 6
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Contact the dentist office and inform them that it is illegal to report that debt (the one from the 90s) to the credit bureaus.  Also inform them that the debt is SOL.  Were you in a community property state when you were married?  Did you have her insured on your policy?

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is SOL? We married in 2007 and at that time I was added to her insurance. We did not even know each other in the 90s.
Message 4 of 6
Shokk
Established Contributor

SOL = statute of limitations, but that's not what's important here.  That would be CRTP, credit reporting time period.  The CRTP is 7 years, so there's no way it should be on anyone's CR since the debt is from the 90's.  This doesn't make the debt go away, but they are not allowed to report it.  Especially on your report when its her debt.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call them up and ask them flat out if they want to be sued for their illegal debt collection practices. Tell them if they don't they had better remove the derogatory item they illegally placed on your credit. Tell them the next phone call you make is going to be to a NACA consumer advocate attorney for advice.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.