Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting My Repair Jouney

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting My Repair Jouney

I've submitted a few posts asking for pointer for individual accounts and mostly lurking/researching. Now I'm going to start this thread/journal just to keep track of my progress and motivate myself and others during this tedious process. My immediate goal is to improve my credit profile/score to rent an apartment for my fmaily by this summer. I have about two months to do this. . .Let's Go

Current Accounts

Credit Cards

• Victoria Secret Angel's Card (No late payments): $150/$1000
  • Capital One (Secured;No Late payments): $175/$200
  • Capital One (Unsecured; No Late payments): $475/500
  • Fingerhut:$0/$200

Installment Loans

Navient Student Loan (Federal): Insanely Large Amount; No Late Payments

Closed Accounts

Credit Cards

• Macys: $559 (charged off); stop reporting in 2012; Northland Group is collecting on it; Faxed a PFD to Macy's on 3/25 and awaiting awaiting response
  • Citizens Bank: $1000 (charged off); stopped reporting; unsure of which collection agency is collecting but only OC appears on credit report
  • Capital One: $904 (charged off); reports monthly, as of last week they still own the debt

Installment Loans

• CitiAssist Loan (private): $8,000 (charged off); Currently in contact with the EO office to see if they will allow me to start making monthly payments to them
  • Discover Student Loans (private): $3,000 (charged off); Currently in contact with the EO office to see if they will allow me to start making monthly payments to them
  • AES (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reports 60 and 90 day lates; Faxed GW letter on 3/21 to remove lates and awaiting response
  • Nelnet (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reorts a 90 day late; Looking for a contact to send GW letter
  • Campus Partners (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reports lates; Looking for contact to send GW Letter

Collections

AFNI: $1596.83 for an AT&T; emailed AFNI on 3/25 a settlement amount of 10% of original balance in exchange for deletion; awaiting response

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting My Repair Jouney

@Anonymous wrote:

I've submitted a few posts asking for pointer for individual accounts and mostly lurking/researching. Now I'm going to start this thread/journal just to keep track of my progress and motivate myself and others during this tedious process. My immediate goal is to improve my credit profile/score to rent an apartment for my fmaily by this summer. I have about two months to do this. . .Let's Go

Current Accounts

Credit Cards

• Capital One (Secured;No Late payments): $175/$200 Expecting to PIF on April 3rd; Can't wait to see the possible score bump

Installment Loans

Closed Accounts

Credit Cards

• Macys: $559 (charged off); stop reporting in 2012; Northland Group is collecting on it; Faxed a PFD to Macy's on 3/25 and awaiting awaiting response
  • Citizens Bank: $1000 (charged off); stopped reporting; unsure of which collection agency is collecting but only OC appears on credit report
  • Capital One: $904 (charged off); reports monthly, as of last week they still own the debt

Installment Loans

• CitiAssist Loan (private): $8,000 (charged off); Currently in contact with the EO office to see if they will allow me to start making monthly payments to them
  • Discover Student Loans (private): $3,000 (charged off); Currently in contact with the EO office to see if they will allow me to start making monthly payments to them
  • AES (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reports 60 and 90 day lates; Faxed GW letter on 3/21 to remove lates and awaiting response;  Just sent another GW to the President/CEO on 3/29
  • Nelnet (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reorts a 90 day late; Looking for a contact to send GW letter
  • Campus Partners (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reports lates; Looking for contact to send GW Letter

Collections

AFNI: $1596.83 for an AT&T; emailed AFNI on 3/25 a settlement amount of 10% of original balance in exchange for deletion; awaiting response

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Current Accounts

Credit Cards

• Capital One (Secured;No Late payments): $175/$200 Expecting to PIF on April 3rd; Can't wait to see the possible score bump

Installment Loans

Closed Accounts

Credit Cards

Installment Loans

• AES (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reports 60 and 90 day lates; Faxed GW letter on 3/21 to remove lates and awaiting response;  Just sent another GW to the President/CEO on 3/29

Collections

Got the following response today from AFNI:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry to Afni, Inc. regarding your AT&T Mobility account. Unfortunately, your request to establish a settlement agreement  to resolve the account for 10% of the balance, $159.68, does not meet pre-established criteria set by Afni and/or our client. Please contact a representative of Afni at 1-877-859-8781 to discuss these details. Also your account will be reported to all 3 major credit reporting agencies as closed and Settled In Full or Paid In Full once a payment of the (SIF/PIF) amount posts.  We do not exchange credit deletions for payments."

Guess they will have to wait until I save up the money. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Current Accounts

Credit Cards

Installment Loans

Closed Accounts

Credit Cards

Installment Loans

Collections

"Thank you for your recent inquiry to Afni, Inc. regarding your AT&T Mobility account. Unfortunately, your request to establish a settlement agreement  to resolve the account for 10% of the balance, $159.68, does not meet pre-established criteria set by Afni and/or our client. Please contact a representative of Afni at 1-877-859-8781 to discuss these details. Also your account will be reported to all 3 major credit reporting agencies as closed and Settled In Full or Paid In Full once a payment of the (SIF/PIF) amount posts.  We do not exchange credit deletions for payments."

Don't give up.  Send them another letter offering a higher % of balance (depending on when SOL expires), but insist on PFD.  This is a negotiation.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Current Accounts

Credit Cards

Installment Loans

Closed Accounts

Credit Cards

Installment Loans

Collections

Two observations:

You need to take care of the Credit Card Charge Offs in order to get them reporting a zero balance. These are hurting your scores in two ways - they are major derogs against your payment history (35% of your score) and they are also a major hit against your UTI% (30% of your score). Get these settled first, before they also become collections as well. Once you get them settled, you can get your UTI% on your current accounts to a manageable level (<30% at the very least, <10% ideally) - This is going to be the FASTEST way to get your scores up.

You offer to AFNI was unrealistic at best, unless the debt is 7 years old and within months of report exclusion. A PFD offer is generally a PIF offer. You can continue to try to negotiate, but IMO, if the debt is relatively new, the best strategy is to wait for it to move to a new collector (they usually move in 6 month intervals unless the collector is 'making progress'). When it hits a new collector you can make immediate payment arrangements in order to keep them from reporting. If the previous collector has not deleted their report, you can easily dispute it off with a comment of 'Collector does not have collection authority for this account'.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, NormanFH. I am in the process o saving up money to take care of that charge off and possibly negotiating a higher settlement for AFNI. Maybe 30 or 40%?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've submitted a few posts asking for pointers for individual accounts and mostly lurking/researching. Now I'm going to start this thread/journal just to keep track of my progress and motivate myself and others during this tedious process. My immediate goal is to improve my credit profile/score to rent an apartment for my fmaily by this summer. I have about two months to do this. . .Let's Go

Current Accounts

Credit Cards

• Victoria Secret Angel's Card (No late payments): $150/$1000 $119/1000, Anticipating ZERO balance on 4/17
  • Capital One (Secured;No Late payments): $175/$200 $0/200

Installment Loans

Navient Student Loan (Federal Loan Consolidationl): Insanely Large Amount; No Late Payments; One of the individual loans inaccurately reported months of collection AFTER the loan was paid in full, Currently working Obudsman to correct this.

Closed Accounts

Credit Cards

Installment Loans

• AES (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reports 60 and 90 day lates; Faxed GW letter on 3/21 to remove lates and awaiting response; Currently working with Obudsman in removing an inaccurately reported lates while loans were in forebearance
  • Nelnet (federal): Paid/Closed in 2013 by consolidation; Still reports a 90 day late; Looking for a contact to send GW letter

Collections

AFNI: $1596.83 for an AT&T; emailed AFNI on 3/25 a settlement amount of 10% of original balance in exchange for deletion; Offer rejected

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Installment Loans Update:

Citibank will not bduge on recalling this defaulted private student loan. I was advised to primarily deal with LTD Financial Services. However, the settlement offer that mailed t me states to make all checks payable to Citbank? What does this mean exactly? BTW, I am not going to take the settlement offer right now. I just faxed them a written pyment arrangement and waiting for their response.The DOFD is Feb/March 2012, so it's still "fresh". Has anyone else paid a defaulted student loan through a collection agency? How does it report?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revised Plan of Action

1. Just emailed AFNI a settlement offer of 30% of the total balance. I need this account off my credit report but do not have enough for the full balance.
  2. Going to mail letter to the Perkins Loan office of my alma mater. The loan was pad in full almost two years ago through consolidation but the late marks look disgusting on my credit report.
  3. I got absolutely nowhere with Citibank Student Loans in terms of initiating a payment plan. I will try to mail a letter to the EO office at Discover Student Loans to see if they wil budge.
  4. I was approved for a $300 unsecured Credit One card. Not sure if I should even keep it or cancel it. I havent received it in the mail yet.
  5. I am still waiting to hear back from Capital One in terms of settling that charged off account. I need to settle that account in order for them to STOP updating.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.