Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting over from scratch - rebuilding credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting over from scratch - rebuilding credit

So during the financial crisis I lost my job and got mired in debt eventually charging off my cards and walking away from credit for good. 

Or or so I thought. 

It's been 7 years and now my girlfriend wants a house (and I wouldn't mind a new car).

So I checked my credit and was shocked that I have no credit score (negatives have fallen off and I have had no open accounts).

So I applied for a credit card with Wells Fargo where I bank and was surprised to get a card with a $2,500 limit (I have about $6,000 in savings account with them which I guess helped).  

So what else can I do to re-establish credit as quickly possible (other than not exceeding 20% of my limit and paying on time).  Should I apply for new cards or would that just hurt? If so, how many cards should I shoot for and what kind of cards? 

My girlfriend's credit is excellent and she makes 6 figures so I think she'll be able to get a home loan on her own, and I doubt I can turn things around fast enough to help, but I told her I would do everything I can to improve my credit. She thinks my income would help with a loan, but I don't think I'll b able to raise the score in the next 6 months that she is looking to buy. 

Secondary, I'd like to purchase a car in the next year. 

So any advice on how to build toward these goals is appreciated!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
amthystwlf
New Contributor

Re: Starting over from scratch - rebuilding credit

If your GF has a card with low utilization and excellent history that she could add you as an AU on, that would help greatly. Typically, you need 3 credit lines and it takes several months of reporting before FICO can generate a score. An AU account is kinda a shortcut to that time limit.

I have 2 now adult sons and I added them as AU on a single card that had over 2 yr history when they were each added. Took until the second month for them to show a score but only because the first month they were added right after the card had updated. My sons have the TL on their reports. I have possession of the card and they don't even know the number or which card of mine it is. I'm recovering from BK in 2007 due to an abusive ex-husband that was very financially irresponsible and as much as I love my son's - I'm not trusting anyone with my financial well being every again.

As far as what types - try to avoid the store card trap. However, Walmart is through Synchrony Bank and they are known to be generous with CLI. Not sure if you could get it without a score though. Another good store card is Lowes Hardware - also a Synchrony Bank product. Synchrony seems to pull TU frequently and you can always freeze Experian and Equifax. Capital One is very understanding of people with little to no credit. They gave me a card after my BK when no one else would. I'd shoot for a rewards card and try to get something with no AF. Cap 1 has a prequalifier and so do many other banks.

Scores on 4/182016
Mortgage - EQ 694 EX 713 TU 706
FICO - EQ 654 EX 696 TU 691
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would adding me hurt her score? Her credit rating is over 800 and I don't want to do anything that could hurt our chances of getting a home. 

I do know her oldest card is a Macy's card with a small limit. She's had that for over 15 years. Would the age of that card help? 

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So during the financial crisis I lost my job and got mired in debt eventually charging off my cards and walking away from credit for good. 

Or or so I thought. 

It's been 7 years and now my girlfriend wants a house (and I wouldn't mind a new car).

So I checked my credit and was shocked that I have no credit score (negatives have fallen off and I have had no open accounts).

So I applied for a credit card with Wells Fargo where I bank and was surprised to get a card with a $2,500 limit (I have about $6,000 in savings account with them which I guess helped).  

So what else can I do to re-establish credit as quickly possible (other than not exceeding 20% of my limit and paying on time).  Should I apply for new cards or would that just hurt? If so, how many cards should I shoot for and what kind of cards? 

My girlfriend's credit is excellent and she makes 6 figures so I think she'll be able to get a home loan on her own, and I doubt I can turn things around fast enough to help, but I told her I would do everything I can to improve my credit. She thinks my income would help with a loan, but I don't think I'll b able to raise the score in the next 6 months that she is looking to buy. 

You want to start with three credit cards minimum. Use them and pay them off several times each month. For the best score only let one card report a small balance of less than ten percent.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Would adding me hurt her score? Her credit rating is over 800 and I don't want to do anything that could hurt our chances of getting a home. 

I do know her oldest card is a Macy's card with a small limit. She's had that for over 15 years. Would the age of that card help? 

Since you have already been approved for one card, there really is no need to go the AU route. Just build on your own history.

Message 5 of 19
amthystwlf
New Contributor

She can add you as an AU and unless you use the card and run it up, it won't affect her score. Just adding you won't affect her scores.

You don't need to go the AU route but it is a shortcut to getting a score to generate. A score can generate with just a single TL reporting - it did for both my sons.

Scores on 4/182016
Mortgage - EQ 694 EX 713 TU 706
FICO - EQ 654 EX 696 TU 691
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the other user correct that it would help create a credit score more quickly?

If I am shooting for 3 credit cards, would this AU card count as one of them?

What kind of credit score do you guys think is realistic in 6 months?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the other user correct that it would help create a credit score more quickly?

If I am shooting for 3 credit cards, would this AU card count as one of them?

What kind of credit score do you guys think is realistic in 6 months?

In six months, with a clean file, three cards and low utilization, you could easily see mid 700s.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Or or so I thought. 

Someone1492,

What kind of report did you pull? Is it an online overview or did you actually get a full 3B report that you can print out and keep? If you don't have one of those go to annualcreditreport.com (you are entitled to 1 free pull of all 3 bureaus once a year) You need it!!!

A couple of you weaknesses could be your AAoA  your(Average Age of Accounts). Sign up for the CreditCheckTotal.com (CCT) $1 - 7 day trial and you can see things like your oldest account and your average age (they may be a little different from 1 bureau to the next but that's the way they are on your reports too. Another would be if you get added as an AU it will artificially raise your FICO8 general score but Mortage scores use a model that I think would weed that out and it wouldn't count anyway. NormanFH was right. At this point you are good so work on building your own score.

You could (probably need) to add a couple more tradelines on your own but do some research here first and look for some good pre-qual sites first:

They say that Discover likes thin, clean files so their pre-qual site is;

https://www.discovercard.com/application/fmo?execution=e1s1

Capital One is pretty liberal with handing out some level of credit from $300 up so here they are;

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/

Go to the bottom and there is a small, blue button that says "Find out in 60 seconds) click on it and it will tell you which cards out of their portfolio you qualify for.

These are just a couple of comments and things to think about in order to get you started.

AND NormanFH is right again; with your file, a little care and use those cards up but make sure they are paid in full every month BEFORE the statement is cut to show very low utilization and you could easily see 700's within 6mths.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool thanks! But what do you mean before the statement is cut. Do you mean due?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.