Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting over...where do I start???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting over...where do I start???

So my husband and I are finally ready to start over and rebuild our credit and we don't know where to start, we are hoping that someone who has been through this can give us some ideas of what to do first.

So hear is our story....

Our financial disaster started about 8 years ago with medical bills (and knowing that there would be many more years of them to come due to numerous expected surgeries) then it spiraled to everything else as we were so overwhelmed trying to handle it all with 2 small children.  We are now a year since my husbands final surgery and in a place that we feel confident enough to attempt to rebuild our credit.  We both are working full time again and have just paid off our only car loan which gives us some extra cash to work on everything else.  We want to maximize what is good on our credit and fix what isn't but don't know what is important and what we should just leave alone.  We hope to buy a house in the next couple of years as it has been 4 years since we sold our house and I am really tired of renting! 

Our goal...

We want to get our scores up to at least 650 before we even consider applying for a home loan.

The low down on our credit....

My credit scores are 498/515/540, my husbands are pretty comparable.  The positives that we have on there...Mortgage (yes the one from over 4 years ago) that was never late, car loan that is paid off, $2500 loan that is current, couple other small things that have nothing derogatory.  The negatives...medical bills in collections,- there are about 10 of them totaling $1800 worth in collections, numerous old credit cards that have gone to collections, including some that are written off, plus a state lax lien that is paid off, and we no longer have any open credit cards.

So here are  the questions that I have come up with so far...

1) We know we need to get a credit card opened in each of our names, to get one though we will have to get a secured card.  Should we be taking extra cash and getting secured credit cards in place now so that they are on our credit starting now and therefore won't be completely new in a year or two when we apply for a loan, or should we be taking the cash to pay the collections first?

2) Which collections do you pay first - the medical bills or the credit cards or does it matter?

3) When we pulled our credit we noticed that several of the credit cards that were written off or are in collections were listed on our credit reports under the original creditor and then again under a collection agency can we request that one of them be removed?

4) I am concerned that if I touch some of these older ones that I am going to make them worse - is there a certain time frame that once it is past I should just leave it alone and not worry about it?

5) On some of the collection agencies reporting the date opened that they have listed is the date that that specific agency received the collection - for example LVNV is reporting that we have an account opened in 2006 - what they are referring to is an old Sears account that was closed and sent to collections in 2003 - they aren't the only ones that are doing this.  How do I get them to correct their dates.  This should have been off of our credit already but it still sits there because of their dating! 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice you may have.  We are excited to start on this journey and get our lives back to the way they were 10 years ago!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting over...where do I start???

Haven't had any responses so thought I would bump this back up to the top....any suggestions??

Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Check the source of your scores. If a lender did not give you those scores, and if they came from the same source, then they are not FICO scores. It's impossible to get all 3 FICOs together without the help of a lender. In other words, your FICO scores might be higher. Who knows.

1) Secured card is great for a first card. The CL does not matter. If you can find a bank or CU to do this, you can always aim for $100 and conserve cash. Or put down more and claim it as an asset come mortgage time. In any case, a CC is very important with regards to your mix of credit and FICO.

2) You pay whomever is the newest and/or whomever is newer within the SOL clock. Keep the thought of being sued in the back of your mind and go after the ones that might want to sue.

3) When you have a CO, they'll report each month adding lates and increasing the balance. Eventually they might sell the debt to a CA and then that CA can report, resulting in two entries for the same debt. This is normal so as long as the OC reports $0 and the CA reports the balance. Both hurt your score and you can send GW letters to the OC asking if they wouldn't mind deleting. However, don't do that if unpaid just in case the OC forwards the notice to the CA. YOu wouldn't want to wake up the CA and have them pursue the debt. Make sure the CA gets paid before sending the GW to the OC. Also, you may not want the OC off in some cases. Even if a CO, the length of history helps. If it is one of your oldest or older than your AAoA, you might want it to continue to report. DW lost a CapOne CO last year and one FICO score dropped after it was removed. It was one of her oldest accounts, despite reporting as a CO.

4) See #3. Now if a CA is old, you'd want it off. A CA reporting never helps.

5) The date assigned or the date opened for a CA is when they took over the report. This date has zero to do with how long a TL reports. These type of baddies will delete 7-7.5 years from DOFD of the debt. DOFD can never change, no matter who owns it.

Message 3 of 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Welcome and you've come to the right place!   

AngelKat wrote:

Our goal...

We want to get our scores up to at least 650 before we even consider applying for a home loan.

The low down on our credit....

My credit scores are 498/515/540(Where did you pull these scores), my husbands are pretty comparable.  The positives that we have on there...Mortgage (yes the one from over 4 years ago) that was never late, car loan that is paid off, $2500 loan that is current, couple other small things that have nothing derogatory.  The negatives...medical bills in collections,- there are about 10 of them totaling $1800 worth in collections, numerous old credit cards that have gone to collections, including some that are written off, plus a state lax lien that is paid off, and we no longer have any open credit cards.

So here are  the questions that I have come up with so far...

1) We know we need to get a credit card opened in each of our names, to get one though we will have to get a secured card.  Should we be taking extra cash and getting secured credit cards in place now so that they are on our credit starting now and therefore won't be completely new in a year or two when we apply for a loan, or should we be taking the cash to pay the collections first? (Get the secured cards now and start building that history.  You can start small, $500 or so each and let only 1-9% of the balance report each month.  You can use more, just pay down to 1-9% before the statement is generated). 

2) Which collections do you pay first - the medical bills or the credit cards or does it matter?(Typically you want to attack the most recent collections as they do the most harm, but one collection is the same as 10 collections.  Also, I think I've read on the mortgage board that medical collections aren't scrutinized as much...but I could be wrong there.)

3) When we pulled our credit we noticed that several of the credit cards that were written off or are in collections were listed on our credit reports under the original creditor and then again under a collection agency can we request that one of them be removed?(You can ask.  The OC and CA can both report the account.  Neither one has to remove it).

4) I am concerned that if I touch some of these older ones that I am going to make them worse - is there a certain time frame that once it is past I should just leave it alone and not worry about it?(you need to check your state's statute of limitation.  check the sticky at the top of the board to find a link to your state.  Important thing to remember is that if you contact a creditor and the account is still within SOL, you need to be able to pay the account in full.  Negative items remain on your reports for 7-7.5 years from the date the account first went bad and never recovered.  Depending on where you got your report, there should be an estimated date the item will be removed from your report.  If it's close to falling off and you have the ability to wait it out, let it go.  )

5) On some of the collection agencies reporting the date opened that they have listed is the date that that specific agency received the collection - for example LVNV is reporting that we have an account opened in 2006 - what they are referring to is an old Sears account that was closed and sent to collections in 2003 - they aren't the only ones that are doing this.  How do I get them to correct their dates.  This should have been off of our credit already but it still sits there because of their dating! (The account with LVNV was opened in 2006, it's when they were assigned or bought the Sears date.  This can continue to happen as CA's buy and sell bad debt).  Only the original Sears account should be off your reports by now, if it went to collections in 2003.  It should've fallen off sometime in 2010.)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice you may have.  We are excited to start on this journey and get our lives back to the way they were 10 years ago!!

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 4 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

llecs:  What happens if the OC and the CA are both reporting a balance for the same account?  What do you do about that kind of situation?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

llecs:  What happens if the OC and the CA are both reporting a balance for the same account?  What do you do about that kind of situation?

Sorry, not llecs but I'll chime in.  Typically when this happens is means the OC still OWNS the debt but has assigned the CA to collect it.  In these cases you have a good chance of working with the OC to pull back the collection and get the OC paid.  And then sometimes, it's just an error on the OC's part in continuing to report the balance.  

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

+1   It's really rare to see both reporting a balance. I don't know what the correct and legal answer is, though, but it isn't fair when I do see examples.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.