Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting over with questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting over with questions

Hello. Been lurking for a couple months now. Love this site

Ive been trying to get my credit up and started keeping track of my credit score about October 2014. Ive only used sites like credit karma/credit.com etc. And as of December 2015 my score showed around 650-670. I thought great but once the new year hit and I check my scores again I no longer have one. I then find this site and decide to check my fico score from here and it has no score for me either.

I havent had any credit in several years. Had a couple collections fall off my account last year. I currently have 1 collection on my credit report.

So now I have to start all over again. I just got approved for a Capital One credit card with a $300 limit and 24.9% interest ouch and $19/yr fee which starts the 2nd year. (should receive my card in the next couple of days) But I was so excited because I tried to apply through a few places who all denied me. So Ill take it.

My question is about my 1 collection. if I do a pfd on the collections account will that be good for my credit score or will that drop it since I have just a thin credit file.

Also will the 1 credit card Im going to get be good enough to start out with to have a decent score or should I apply now for more?

Would appreciate any feedback

Lisa Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting over with questions

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive been trying to get my credit up and started keeping track of my credit score about October 2014. Ive only used sites like credit karma/credit.com etc. And as of December 2015 my score showed around 650-670. I thought great but once the new year hit and I check my scores again I no longer have one. I then find this site and decide to check my fico score from here and it has no score for me either.

I havent had any credit in several years. Had a couple collections fall off my account last year. I currently have 1 collection on my credit report.

So now I have to start all over again. I just got approved for a Capital One credit card with a $300 limit and 24.9% interest ouch and $19/yr fee which starts the 2nd year. (should receive my card in the next couple of days) But I was so excited because I tried to apply through a few places who all denied me. So Ill take it.

My question is about my 1 collection. if I do a pfd on the collections account will that be good for my credit score or will that drop it since I have just a thin credit file.

Also will the 1 credit card Im going to get be good enough to start out with to have a decent score or should I apply now for more?

Lisa Smiley Happy

Yes, try to do a PFD on the collection, you want that off of your report. You will want a couple more cards, but do not apply with any of the prime credit card companies because you will waste hard inquiries. Maybe get a secured card with Capital One, they should approve you since they issued you an unsecured. Or check their prequal site, to see if you could be approved for another unsecured card with them. You can have more than one account with Capital One. I would say it is possible that Credit One or First Premiere may approve you, but I would avoid them at all costs. If you cannot get a second card with Capital One (secured or unsecured) maybe try OpenSky or somewhere like that for a secured card. Just a note, you would probably only have to put down $49 for a $200 secured card with Capital One. Their secured card reports as a regular credit card. The other thing that would be helpful for you is to get a small installment loan, but at this point that may have to wait, until you get your scores back. Once again, try to get rid of that collection, never keep one of those to build your file.

Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Lisa Smiley Happy

Grats on the approval & welcome to My Fico  Smiley Happy

If these are the only 2 things on your report you need to do the PFD before apping for more. You wont generate a Fico until the new card reports history for 6 months. You might have to do a few secureds to get self going again.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/td-p/2031275

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick replies

With the collection on my credit report, its still w/in the SOL so I pretty much have til wait until October I believe. Will it matter whether I have a score by then or not? Meaning will it hurt me more to try the pfd after I have a score? 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies

With the collection on my credit report, its still w/in the SOL so I pretty much have til wait until October I believe. Will it matter whether I have a score by then or not? Meaning will it hurt me more to try the pfd after I have a score? 

What do you mean by SOL? Do you mean SOL to be sued in your state or when the collection will drop from your report? Having a score or not having a score has nothing to do with a pfd.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meaning statue of limitations hasnt run out. So in that case I would think id have to wait until that runs out to try the pfd. By that time ill probably have a score. I was thinking my score would drop if I got it removed at that time since its one less thing on my report but as I think about it this is a negative so it doesnt make sense for my score to drop.

Ive got too much going through my mind. lol. Hopefully I didnt just confuse everyone.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Meaning statue of limitations hasnt run out. So in that case I would think id have to wait until that runs out to try the pfd. By that time ill probably have a score. I was thinking my score would drop if I got it removed at that time since its one less thing on my report but as I think about it this is a negative so it doesnt make sense for my score to drop.

Ive got too much going through my mind. lol. Hopefully I didnt just confuse everyone.

Ok, if you can still be sued for this debt, then you are correct about waiting to try to negotiate. If you cannot pay the full amount due on an amount that you can be sued for it is best to avoid waking sleeping dogs. After the statute of limitations expires, you can surely save some money even if you cannot get the PFD. Try at all costs to get the PFD once it comes time though. Also after SOL is up, make sure everything they are reporting is correct. I have read many cases of old collections reporting incorrectly and the person disputes the incorrect info and it can sometimes result in the entire thing being deleted from your report.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Lisa Smiley Happy

That new card should give you a score boost. Watch your reports and as soon as it reports apply for a Cap One Quicksilver card. You want to establish at least 3 bank cards as soon as you can.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.