Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting this fall, medical debt will impact your credit score less

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting this fall, medical debt will impact your credit score less

A new article was released on August 7th on CNN.com referencing FICO scores and medical bills. I figured I would copy and paste it so that you all can see the new developments beginning this fall!

(CNN) - If your medical bills are weighing down your credit score, you're in for a pleasant surprise.

This fall, FICO, the nation's top credit score provider, will make changes that put less of an emphasis on medical debt.

If the only unpaid debt on your credit report is medical debt, your FICO score could go up by about 25 points. If you have other kinds of debt, you might not see as big of an increase if any at all.

Another change to the way it calculates scores: FICO will begin ignoring debt in collections that has been completely paid off or settled. Currently, debts that go into collections, even if they are paid off, are factored into all credit scores for up to seven years.

This is a move VantageScore, the scoring model created by credit bureaus Experian (EXPGF), Equifax (EFX) and TransUnion -- announced last year.

Copyright 2014 CNN. All rights reserved.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
eric19k
Established Contributor

Re: Starting this fall, medical debt will impact your credit score less

Yep. But by the time lenders will use new FICO model it will be good 4-6 years.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 2 of 5
Warrior2000
Regular Contributor

In light of this pleasent article, should I start DV/Disputing accts paid off including Midland
Message 3 of 5
reneasworld
Regular Contributor

Did they state when this will go into effect? I have a $550 medical bill that is in collections which I have tried to dispute and it remains. I had insurance at the time and the hospital did not submit the information to the insurance provider and I never received notice because they was sending it to the wrong address (someone entered the address incorrectly). Of course by the time, it showed up in collections on my report it was over a year and no insurance carrier would pay a bill that old.  I felt I should not have to pay for a bill when I pay for insurance because of their error.  

Starting Scores (5/2014): EQ 569, TU 601, EX 589
Current Scores (07/08/2015): EQ 640, TU 640, EX 654
Goal (12/2015): 700 across the board
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, it did not give a specific date.I am in the same boat and had the same question so I am hoping soon!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.