Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Collection

tag
rpreissm

State Collection

Hello All,

I was in the process of cleaning up my credit and have a collection from 2013 that I'm trying to remove. I had sent a DV letter to the creditor asking to validate this debt. I had received a response from them. They sent me a bill that had received from the original creditor in my name. The thing is they have an address listed for me that is non existent nor have I ever lived at. How should I approach it? Should I try a PFD letter?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: State Collection

Lacking in your post is a statement that you consider the debt with the named OC not to be valid.

Is it a valid debt?

If you dont consider their response to be adequate validation, then if your DV was timely, the result is that you consider them to still remain under a cease collection bar.

Lack of what is considered adequate validation is not per se a violation of anything.

Offering a PFD is a negotiation on the debt.  They cannot conduct collection activities if you hold that they have not yet validated the debt.

Thus, whether to PFD woulld, in my opinion, hinge on whether you wish to continue to assert that the debt has not been validated, and is not legitimate.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.