Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Lien Advice

tag
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

State Tax Lien Advice

So, we have a tax lien from 07. It was filed in error. We didn't owe any taxes in 07. It shows as "released" because it was reported in the registry and is being reported to the CRA by a third party company.

I now have a letter from the State Department of Revenue that states that. It wasn't just released (as in we paid it) It never should have been filed. We didn't pay anything to release the lien.

I want to send this letter to the CRA. Is that the correct step? I've already disputed and it's been verified. To whom do I send this letter? Are they going to take this as a dispute and reopen another investigation? The issue is there IS a lien recorded in the registry. It's still there...once it's there, it's there.

I don't want them to come back and say it's "verified" the actual lien itself in the registry isn't going to go anywhere, but it never should have been there to begin with...

I assume I should write a letter accompnaying this letter explaining the circumstances?

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: State Tax Lien Advice

If it was their error, why can't they have the registry fixed?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

Once it's in the registry, it's there. It's very frustrating...but it's literally a book where all the state liens are recorded and they don't go back and delete items from the book, they are only updated to released. I'm not quite certain they understand the credit implications when liens are filed in error. I had to explain it to this guy about 12 times that showing a released tax lien is still damaging to the credit score.

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 3 of 4
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Obviously, Robert would know more but it may call for MOV concurent with your supporting documents. New York, for example, doesn't insert anything onto reports. It's private companies that perform record searches.

True, you have a "public record" on registry but it seems there should be some remedy in examples when an entry is filed in error. It's easier for me to believe the people you've spoken to aren't willing to do the extra work than accept what they're telling you. Simply saying "We just keep a registry. It wasn't us who reported the wrong information" doesn't seem adequate, especially considering you're being punished financially through misuse of their registry.

At least a MOV will let you know who supplied/verified the information.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.