cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Lien (unpaid) removed from All CRA!

tag
kevinlee28
New Contributor

State Tax Lien (unpaid) removed from All CRA!

I wrote a previous post sharing my story of an unpaid tax lien from a failed business in PA. well last year i was able to get the lien deleted from Transunion/Equifax by just doing 1 online dispute. Experian wouldn't budge. I filed a complaint with the CFPB and they sent me back a statement saying it was verfiied thru a public record vendor not the state! 

so i challenged that with the CFPB by saying... 

On Feb 2nd i filed a complaint/dispute with Experian in reference to a state tax lien that is being reported on my credit file. The lien has been deleted from the other 2 credit bureaus as coming back as unverified from the state. Experian stated in their response to the 3/2/16 dispute that you would respond by 30 days. you never supplied me with a response on the CFPB portal where the complaint was initially filed, but you stated in the initial response on (3/2/16) * At your request to begin an investigation, we are in the process of contacting the public record vendor to verify the accuracy of the information with which you disagree. Please note that an investigation may take up to 30 days. Upon completion, the result summary will be provided directly to you for review.* A debt should be validated from the state that filed the lien not a PUBLIC RECORD VENDOR! thats how you choose to keep reporting but no other bureau will report it because it has not been verified by the state! A public record vendor can not be the one verifiying this debt- its against my rights to have someone/vendor verify a debt that is being reported against me. especially when they do not and can not supply any proof or documentation that indeed this debt is mine

yesterday i recieved thsis response from Experian...

We have reviewed and considered the information you have supplied through the CFPB portal and directly to Experian. In your complaint, you indicate that there is a tax lien that is inaccurate and you request that the tax lien be removed. Upon further research and investigation, we are in the process of removing the disputed tax lien from your credit report. Upon completion, an updated copy of your credit report will be mailed to you for review and confirmation. Please note that mailed correspondence may take up to 10 days for delivery through the US Postal system.

woooo hoooo!!! this lien was for $8800 and holding me back from purchasing a home! i'm so happy right now and i wanted to share

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: State Tax Lien (unpaid) removed from All CRA!

Congratulations! But, do you owe the debt?
Message 2 of 26
kevinlee28
New Contributor

yes and no it was a failed business that was incorp as an LLC. from my understanding it should have been hit against the business not me- but since i was sole prop they say they can tack it to my name  so techinally Yes... 

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you be able to get a mortgage with unpaid tax liens?
Message 4 of 26
kevinlee28
New Contributor

from my understanding as long as they are not reporting on my credit reports i will be fine 

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

I have a paid tax lein for $2400 showing on my EX and EQ reports, showing paid and released in 2014.

I wonder if its worth disputing the lein, even though its marked as paid two years ago.  I'd really like it off those reports.   I can't do it right now, as i'm applying for a mortgage and I understand disputes are the kiss of death in terms of underwriting, but after we are either approved or denied, maybe I should ask for verification by the State who filed the info. with the CRAs?

Thoughts anyone?

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe mortgage companies do public searches as well as requesting factual credit reports from the CRA's. You may want to look into that before applying.
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so happy for you...I have two paid tax liens that are killing my report but they are aging which I guess is "good" but I would still love for it to be removed by 2021. I live in NYC and they are very strict with tax liens but you gave me hope I am going to try what you did, doesnt hurt to try right?

If you dont mind me asking what state do you live in? some states are more leniant than others.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

I have a paid tax lein for $2400 showing on my EX and EQ reports, showing paid and released in 2014.

I wonder if its worth disputing the lein, even though its marked as paid two years ago.  I'd really like it off those reports.   I can't do it right now, as i'm applying for a mortgage and I understand disputes are the kiss of death in terms of underwriting, but after we are either approved or denied, maybe I should ask for verification by the State who filed the info. with the CRAs?

Thoughts anyone?

It doesnt hurt to try, I say GO FOR IT...I am going to try it for myself as well today

Message 9 of 26
kevinlee28
New Contributor

they were PA state tax liens - the odd thing is Transunion/Equifax were easy came back deleted with just 1 dispute 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.