Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Lien

tag
shanac
Frequent Contributor

Re: State Tax Lien

Kathy will you update this thread with your progress? I have an unpaid state tax lien from 2002 ($576) that only appears on EQ. It fell off TU & EX at ten year mark. It's the last baddie I have to tackle but I've been hesitant to pay (but I will) for fear of score dropping considerably once I do.

Much success to you!

iPhone. iTypos. iApologize

Current Score: EQ FICO 764 TU FICO 776 EX FICO 753
Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 44
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@electra wrote:

The way that the CRAs get their public records information is a mystery.  One thing I can say for certain is that the Courts and/or County Recorders DO NOT report information to the CRAs.  (I have spoken to the County Recorder personally regarding this very subject and he himself didn't know how the CRAs got the information...he verified that they NEVER send anything to the CRAs or communicate with them in any way.)   I have heard, and this seems likely, that they hire a 3rd party company (LexisNexis has been speculated) who then hires people to go to the Recorders office or look online for updates.  Who knows...I can tell you I have pulled my LexisNexis report and it DOES NOT contain most of my liens so...I dunno.  I specifically asked for MOV from CRAs and they gave me a vague line of canned BS. 

In terms of updates...it's kinda random.  Two of my IRS liens were recently paid...TU and EX updated to paid fairly quickly (at least the one) and EQ I had to dispute.  Interestingly...EX has only 1 of my 6 liens.  Don't know why but I can tell you that paying the second one did not cause it to appear on EX...at least so far and in my case it's NOT past the exclusion date.  (It's been 2-3 months now since it was paid.)

If you want to buy a house, I think you are going to have to pay the lien.  I would be VERY surprised if it appeared on your CR and, even if it did, 1) you should be able to get it removed based on the age and 2) it's so old that it's doubtful it would have much impact on your score.  (What happened with your score when it was removed?)  My advice would be to pay it and get some sleep!  Smiley Happy

If she did pay it and it was rereported, it goes by the date it was reported not the age of the lien.  So, it would definitely impact her score as a new lien.

I honestly do not believe it can be rereported once it comes off due to age.  It has already run its course on the CR.

Message 12 of 44
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Nothing happened to my score when I had it removed.  But it was only on EQ and I had so many other bad things.  Tons of baddies.  The lien was the first thing I had removed.  I simply called them and they removed it - took maybe 5 minutes total. 

It appears I would be safe with EQ.  That is my cleanest report with nothing negative.

TU has two paid PR's that are 3 years old.  My score is still over 700.  I have no other baddies.

EX has two paid collections that are 3 yrs and 4 yrs old.  No PR's.  This is my lowest score.

If it does appear on my CR would it appear to be 19 years old or would it score as new activity with it being paid in 2013.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 13 of 44
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 14 of 44
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

It would appear as a 19 year old lien being paid in and reported in 2013.

Would it tank more score with recent activity?

I think this is why my EX score is lower than the others.  I have two paid collections on it but disputed them and they updated them.  My LO told me to leave them alone and let them age and my score would rise to what the others are. 

CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
Message 15 of 44
guiness56
Epic Contributor

More than likely, yes, it would tank your score.  It would be a newly reported PR.  However, I honestly do not think it will be reported at all.

I do understand your concern.  When is the LO supposed to pull your CR again?

Message 16 of 44
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

More than likely, yes, it would tank your score.  It would be a newly reported PR.  However, I honestly do not think it will be reported at all.

I do understand your concern.  When is the LO supposed to pull your CR again?

I have no idea when he will pull it again or if he will pull it again.

I have to go in and sign a document this afternoon.  I am thinking about telling him about it.

Otherwise,  I am thinking about paying it on Thursday and waiting to see what happens.  If it appears, I would explain it.  If they go by middle score I should be ok.  From the conversation I had with EQ they would not reinsert it.  That would be one high score.  TU would report it if they knew about it.  EX is the wild card.

Message 17 of 44
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I was thinking if you knew when they would pull the last one, pay it the day before and bring the reciept in to show payment.  Don't know if that would work or not.

Message 18 of 44
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Ok, went in and talked with my LO and came clean with him about the lien.  Showed him the paperwork and the certified check to pay it off.  He said it was no big deal.  It would have to be paid before we can close and it would come up when the title company searched for liens and judgements.  

We talked about it showing up on my credit report.  He felt it was highly unlkely given the age.  He didn't mention pulling my credit report a second time.  He did say if I wanted to wait and see what the title company said and than pay it after that.  Sounds reasonable to me.

This has had me stressed out for 4 days now.  No sleep, no eating, no nothing.  The plan is to teach my night class and than get a good nights sleep.

Message 19 of 44
electra
Established Contributor

@Kathy4NU wrote:

So, I just used my work phone and called EQ and TU.  I received two different responses.

EQ said they remove after 10 years unpaid or 7 years paid.  Which ever is FIRST.

TU said they never remove unpaid and remove paid after 7 years. 

This is directly contradicted by what TU has put on my CR.  

I went back to an old CR and looked at how they listed a Lien before it was paid:

Date Filed:  5/19/2011

(no date paid since it was not yet paid)

Estimated year and month that this item will be removed:  04/2021

Additionally, under the tab for Public Records it says:  "This information was collected from public records sources by Transunion or a company we hired.  You may be expected to explain these items to potential creditors.  An unpaid tax lien remains on your file for up to 10 years.  A satisfied tax lien remains on your file for up to 7 years."

Just goes to show that the CRA employees are also confused.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.