cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax lien (unpaid) removed from Transunion and Equifax but Experian won't budge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
kevinlee28
New Contributor

State Tax lien (unpaid) removed from Transunion and Equifax but Experian won't budge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a state tax lien filed against me to from Phila, PA. I never paid it because it was due to a failed business and should have been filed against the business name and not mine - but neiher here nor there, i disputed them with Transunion and Equifax and they were deleted! i then tried with Experian and they are reporting that its coming back verified- this bothers me because they dont verify with the State they use a public record vendor- is that crazy? i feel like this is not right  as anybody been thru this? should i redispute it and ask how can a vemdor verify a debt if the state won't? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: State Tax lien (unpaid) removed from Transunion and Equifax but Experian won't budge!!!!!!!!!!!!

@kevinlee28 wrote:

i have a state tax lien filed against me to from Phila, PA. I never paid it because it was due to a failed business and should have been filed against the business name and not mine - but neiher here nor there, i disputed them with Transunion and Equifax and they were deleted! i then tried with Experian and they are reporting that its coming back verified- this bothers me because they dont verify with the State they use a public record vendor- is that crazy? i feel like this is not right  as anybody been thru this? should i redispute it and ask how can a vemdor verify a debt if the state won't? 

This is how it works, they either get the info from vendor or check public records themselves, courts and state collectors will never verify a lien directly. If this was a sole prop business then they will file the lien in your name, I understand will do same for LLCs, only corp doesnt get filed in shareholders/officers name unless fraud is proved. The amount of time a tax lien can remain on thats unpaid can be unlimited in some states in others its the period of enforcability. A paid tax lien is removed 7 years from the date its paid.

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: State Tax lien (unpaid) removed from Transunion and Equifax but Experian won't budge!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the lien still remains in the public record, how the CRA verifies that it is publicly available is not an issue of fairness or unfairness.

They can hire someone to do their legwork.

I have no idea what you used in your dispute to show that the public record is not accurate, or why the other two CRAs chose to delete.

Did you receive a formal notice of results of reinvestigation from them indicating that they deleted because the information was not found in the public record, or did they simply bail out?

I see no basis for renewed dispute.

If you want the issue of the validity of the tac lien decided, then there are appeal rights before the taxation authority for contesting the accuracy.

The CrA is not in a position ot rule on the validity of the lien itself, only to check whether it remains in the public record.

Message 3 of 8
koolerthanmost
Valued Member

Kevinlee28, what did you state in your dispute with Transunion and Equifax to convince them to remove your tax lien? Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
traveler2005
Established Contributor

@kevinlee28 wrote:

did you ever get this removed????

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 5 of 8
kevinlee28
New Contributor

Yes I argued with the CFPB that a vendor can not verify a debt if they didn't list it and they didn't fight me on it - it's now gone from all 3 CRA's
Message 6 of 8
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Fantastic!!!!  How did you get equifax to delete???????????

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 7 of 8
kevinlee28
New Contributor

For Equifax & transunion I just did the reqular dispute online and said they didn't belong to me nothing more
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.