Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Taxes

tag
DeeWill
New Contributor

State Taxes

Does anyone know what the statue of limitation is for a state to collect on back taxes? I got a letter from a collection agency today and it listed the dept. of revenue for a particular state as the original creditor.  I contacted that state who informed me that I owed back taxes from 2000 and 2001 which I wasn't aware of.  Now the collection agency  wants a whopping $3287 for a debt that was originally about $900 but since I didn't know it was out the penalties and interest have grown.  Just checking to see if they can still legally collect on the one from 2000 while I wait for them to furnish proof that it is actually my taxes.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: State Taxes

You would need to pour through the state's statutes to see how long the SOL is for 1) filing and 2) paying.

Even if out of SOL, the CA can collect forever.

Message 2 of 4
Shane1
New Contributor

The statute of limitations in Colorado is 6 years from the date of assessment under §39-21-107(2) C.R.S. Unlike other forms of debt, taxes generally cannot continue to be collected following the expiration of the statute of limitations, if one exists, because they are collections statutes rather than just statutes for legal action.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have two separate concerns running in tandem.

SOL may well have expired.  So legal action may not be the issue.  But credit reporting is separte mattter,

The expiration of tax liens from your CR is specfied as being, under FCRA  605(a)(3),  7 years from the date of payment of the lien.   Being uppaid, the 7-year period has yet to begin.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.