Did you mean: 

State tax lien and tax office admits to lien being a mistake via email

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State tax lien and tax office admits to lien being a mistake via email

Hi everyone

Edit: Sorry for typos, using an iphone with big fingers

I had a state tax lien filed for some reason two wholw months after they got paid off. The latest i could pay was oct 31st before anything would happen after talking to them, i paid on the 18th that month, then end of dec a lien shows up.

equifax and trans are both hovering close to 780. Only dropped 10 points still as of today, but OMG about my fico. It dropped nearly a whole 130 points.

anyway, their excuse via email was that because i paid by social, not the confirmation number on my letter, they didnt catch it was paid for three weeks and put a lien up.

I call bs but what can you do.

Ive checked out a bunch of options here and Im really very wary of trying much because so far ive yet to see a post of someones state tax lien being erased, even if filed in error which is the only reason the state seems to give people as to if theyll have the lien deleted.

Has anyone had personally or actually seen someone with a state lien filed in true error completely deleted?

my report finally updated to released, but thats bogus completely, i see alot of ppl say goto a judge but does it really have to be taken that far for "their" mistake?

i have disputes going to the cras but it doesnt sound promising after reading everything here.

Lawsuit? If so what kind of lawyer, im horrible with both taxes and types of lawyers, i just pay the things off usually and no problems.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: State tax lien and tax office admits to lien being a mistake via email

The lien must be withdrawn (not just released). I would ask the state, due to clerical error, can they withdraw the lien. Then it can be completely removed from your CR's.

Also, In some states, you can remove paid liens. You probably need to do some google searching regarding this issue in your state.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking that but even if they do, I didnt want to entertain them with any ideas that the lien was paid. Which may be giving them an excuse to leave it there, since its not technically paid it, it never shouldve existed. From what ive read around here its salty waters if i give anyone that kind of hint at a paid lien opposed to a completely errornous one when i reach out to them, 

Giving them a call now though.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know your situation, but if that happened to me, I have PLENTY of free time available to devote to pursing this with extreme vigor. If they shouldn't have filed it, then nothing short of withdrawing it would be satisfactory. Accept nothing less, and make sure they know it. I have a legal plan subscription, I would not hesitate to call the dogs on them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.