Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State tax liens question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State tax liens question

My brief story:

My former CPA failed to file a state tax exemption for me back in 2006 when I was living in Texas and Arkansas filed a tax lien on me.  All notices were sent to my old address and I didn't have any idea about it until it popped up on my credit.  Boy, was I mad because my credit was perfectly clean for over 30 years!

Anyway, I provided proof that I lived in Texas and they dropped it and gave me a release letter.  Of course, the letter from the state says the lien was "satisfied" even though I didn't pay a dime.  That makes it look like I owed the tax and paid it off which isn't true.  It knocked 50 points off my FICO score. 

Is there any way to have this removed?  We want to get a new house in the Fall and I need to get it removed.

Thanks for any help!

Russ

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

Re: State tax liens question

Funny. I am going through the same thing with the State Of Maine...and the women at the "County Deeds" sounds like she's 150 years old and keeps telling me "it's in the book" and they "aren't reporting it". She seriously is acting like people from the CRA's are showing up and looking at this book and then going back and reporting it.

Our lien NEVER should have been filed. We didn't owe the money and in fact were issued a REFUND.

I initiated a dispute with all three CRA's yesterday on this...I put "never should have been filed" as why I am disputing it. It shows as "released" on my report...but it shouldn't even be there!!

I hope to get some traction with the CRA's...otherwise I am going back to the Maine IRS and fight my battle with them.

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 2 of 3
virgo
Established Contributor

Re: State tax liens question

Hello Familywantsahouse,

Unfortunately, the 150 yr woman is telling you the truth.

The CRA'S are looking at the books; they hire vendors to troll public records.

Please read my post 'taking Eperian to Small Claims.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.