Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statement from CA (help!)

tag
runningriot

Statement from CA (help!)

Hello-

I recently sent a Pay for Delete letter  (using this template) to the CA, Portfolio Recovery Assoicates. In my letter I offer to pay 100% of what is owed.

Six days later, I get a letter/statement from them offering a single payment settlment option for only 75% of what is owed. Is this common? I've read a lot of horror stories in regards to setling with CAs and I don't want to proceed until I am near certain this will be removed from my credit report.

Here is the letter I recieved from them: Payment offer from PRA

I am inexperienced with this sort of thing and would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Statement from CA (help!)

@runningriot wrote:

Hello-

I recently sent a Pay for Delete letter  (using this template) to the CA, Portfolio Recovery Assoicates. In my letter I offer to pay 100% of what is owed.

Six days later, I get a letter/statement from them offering a single payment settlment option for only 75% of what is owed. Is this common? I've read a lot of horror stories in regards to setling with CAs and I don't want to proceed until I am near certain this will be removed from my credit report.

Here is the letter I recieved from them: Payment offer from PRA

I am inexperienced with this sort of thing and would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you!

What you received from them is not a response to your PFD but a pre programmed canned form letter, it would not include deletion if you were to pay it. How old is this debt???  Past SOL??

Message 2 of 6
runningriot

SOL here is 3 years. The debt is nearly 4 years old, but I am willing to pay it and be done if it will be removed from my CR.

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree this is basically a form letter response, and paying now wouldn't result in the collection being deleted from your reports.

You'll need to keep trying until you get a response from them which indicates they'll delete in exchange for payment.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

How many times have you tried disputing this?  I too had a report on all three credit reports from them!  It took me six rounds of disputes, but they FINALLY removed it!! 

DON'T PAY the bill they sent... it is a computer-generated settlement... anyone who disputes anything with them gets these!!!  Trust me... I have a stack of these in my office waiting to be shred now that I'm done with them!

Good luck!!

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 5 of 6
runningriot

Thank you all!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.