cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statue of Limitation basic question

tag
jasonx24

Statue of Limitation basic question

Hi, can anyone please tell me if I should go by the "date opened" or "status updated" dates when determing how long my account will fall off?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Statue of Limitation basic question

DoFD, date of first delinquency. What kind of account and what state?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jasonx24 wrote:

Hi, can anyone please tell me if I should go by the "date opened" or "status updated" dates when determing how long my account will fall off?

Thanks

Neither one is relevant. Its based on the DoFD, which is generally stripped out of most online reports. You'll need to pull your raw reports from annualcreditreport.com to see the DoFD (EQ) or the estimated removal date (TU and EX).

It should be noted however that the time period that an item is on your report is not "the Statute of Limitation", it is correctly referred to as the "CRTP" (Credit Reporting Time Period) and is set by federal law (FCRA) - the Staute of Limitations (SOL) is something completely different. SOL is the time period that a creditor has to use the court system to force payment from you, and is set by the laws of the state you are in. Depending on your state and the type of debt, it can be as short as three years or as long as fifteen.

Message 3 of 4
jasonx24

Thanks guys.  They are collections & medical and the state is NJ...

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.