Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statute of Limitations question:

tag
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Statute of Limitations question:

Let's say I apply for a credit card in Florida, and move to California. The card was established and open in Florida and closed in California. Which state applies to the SOL? My first guess is the state that it was open in, and if so, do you just go by the month/year it was opened? 

I recently received a dunning from a lawyer who is collecting for a collection agency (weird, why didn't they just contact me) This lawyer is applying interest to the debt and saying he doesn't have to wait 30 days to sue me lol...ok buddy. I know it's tax time and this is a sleeper debt, not listed on my credit except with the OC and I know I owe it, that's not the problem.

I don't remember when this particular card closed, but I want to say 2009, which would put it only a few months away from SOL if the SOL was based on the state it was opened. Obviously I need to DV and see what this lawyer comes back with. He's jumping into the "S" word (sue) too quickly. I'm worried that he won't settle for 50% and that in 30 days he will report which will wreck all the progress I've made. I feel like I am going to have to pay this 5+ year old debt in full because the only leverage he has is that it's not reporting.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Re: Statute of Limitations question:

I would think the SOL would apply to the state the last transaction happened in and your current state of residency.

I am not sure about yours but mine started in MI and closed in Arkansas and I was sued in Arkansas.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 2 of 9
starry1
Valued Contributor

I think I read just today that the ca sol is four years. You're in California?

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 3 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

SOL is generally of the state you currently reside in.  This is because you have to be sued in the state you live in.

I say generally because they do have the option of using the SOL of the state where the company is.  Rarely happens.

SOL for suing  is initially determined by the DoFD.  If a payment is made after that it would possibly restart it.

I believe the 30 days he is referring to is the 30 days you are given to send a DV.  He is correct.  He can sue in that 30 days. The attorney cannot list a debt on your CR only the CA or OC can do that.

If he did file suit before you sent a DV he would be required to validate in court.

Message 4 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It's usually the state in which  you reside.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 9
Jane_Eyre
Established Member

I have a similar question regarding SOL.  I was sued for a judgement for old credit card debt in Minnesota after I had moved out of state.  I was never served and they were awarded a default judgement even though the debt was over 6 years old, the SOL for Minnesota.  I now reside in California.  How do I go about challenging this judgement?

Message 6 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Contact the court house where the judment was filed and tell them you were never served and want to have the judgment vacated.

In order for them to get a default judgment, there has to be something saying you were served, in one way or the other.  See what they have.

Message 7 of 9
Jane_Eyre
Established Member

Ok, thank you for the advice Guiness!  

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The issue is the court having jurisdiction to hear the matter.  The prevailing SOL will then be that of the jurisdiction of triial.  A trial court applies the statutes of its jurisdition.

If action is brought by a debt collector, they have the statutory option under FDCPA 811(a) to bring action in either the jurisdiction where the account agreement was signed, or in the current jurisdiction of the consumer.  They will usually bring action in the jurisdiction of current residency of the consumer to simply issues such as service of notice on the defendant.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.