Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statute of limitations for medical in IL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Statute of limitations for medical in IL

I'm reading it's anywhere from 5 to 10 years and that it is measured by date of last payment. The doctor I see is part of a larger network. They don't deny to see patients due to delinquency, mostly because they send all bills over 60 days straight to collection and sort out insurance later. They continuously roll in new amounts to a single account.

Does this mean if I had a bill from 2006 that was transferred to recovery, the SOL continues to roll over as I make payments on other services? The bill is for a few coinsurance amounts that were adjusted down after insurance payments were made +/- 5 months after service.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Statute of limitations for medical in IL

Medical debt is considered a written contract and the SOL in IL is 10 years on it. I do not believe the SOL is reset as you pay off other bills that are due, the DoFD would be set once each bill passes the 30 day late mark and it doesnt get reset unless payments are actually made on that bill over time under a new written contract to pay. In some states just making a payment can reset the SOL so you need to find out what can reset it by looking in IL laws on the SOL.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.