cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stellar Recovery Inc -- Verification of debt?

tag
coffeegal
Contributor

Stellar Recovery Inc -- Verification of debt?

I recently started using MyFICO as a credit monitoring service, and came across a collections account for Stellar Recovery Inc. The amount was owed to Comcast, and the date was October 2013.  Had I not have had the credit monitoring service, I would not have known this debt even existed.  This may have been the wring thing to do, but I contacted Stellar Recovery and attempted to pay the account in full if they would delete it, citing the fact that I had never been notified of the debt.  I spoke to three different people including a manager.  All refused to do this or even alllow me to dispute the debt.  I ended up filing a report with the CFPB stating that I was not made aware of the debt before it was reported to the credit bureaus.  I have never challenged a debt before, and this is the only collections account on my report.  

Have I gone wrong in the process?  Would love feedback, though it may be too late.  

Thanks!

Starting Score: EQ 657 TU 627 EX 650 12/2014
Current Score: EQ 747 TU 748 EX 738 3/2017
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Re: Stellar Recovery Inc -- Verification of debt?

SInce this is so recent, I would call Comcast and explain that you didn't receive anything that indicated that you still had a balance due....or whatever the reason was for your non-payment, and explain that you can pay this in full right now if they would please recall it from the CA.  I called comcast regarding DD's collection.  They did recall from CA after I paid the amount on her behalf and deleted the CA from the CR.  If the CSR says no, ask for a manager.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
coffeegal
Contributor

Thank you!  I did call Comcast, and though very nice, the CSR was not very helpful.  I didn't escalate the issue, as I wanted to see if anyone on here would reply with past experience.  To be honest, I would pay today just to resolve the situation, but would like the item removed from my CRs.  I did not realize I had a balance at the time I closed my account.  

Did you request something in writing, or did they just remove the CA as discussed verbally?  Also -- what was the timeframe?  

Thanks again for your input.  

Message 3 of 6
coffeegal
Contributor

Quick update -- Stellar Recovery responded to my complaint filed with CFPB.  They agreed to delete the CA on my credit report immediately and send the file back to Comcast.  I will pay Comcast directly.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Shokk
Established Contributor

Awesome news!  Congratz!

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 5 of 6
coffeegal
Contributor

Thank you!  BTW -- CFPB was extremely helpful and FAST!  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.