Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps For Rebuilding After Small Debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Steps For Rebuilding After Small Debt

So, here's my story, which I'd like to say is unique, but I'm sure there are many like me.  I have poor credit, not necessarily due to any massive debt, but to some very small debt and more-over a lack of credit.

Currently, I have two accounts in collections, nearing the 7 year mark (they were both started in 2009).  One account is for a GE MONEY BANK debt of $745 that was bought by Midland Funding LLC and has a "current balance" of $1,203.
The second was an HSBC BANK NEVADA N A debt of $746 that was purchased by Portfolio recovery.

I held a car payment in my name from a 2003 auto loan, but that's long since been paid off and no longer gives any credit benefit.  I have three cards I've opened over the last year and a half.  A Bank of America Visa with a $1300 limit.  A Capital One Master Card with a $1500 limit.  And a Chase Amazon card with a $500 limit.  I spend between 19% and 21% on the three cards each month and pay off in full.

I had a long standing "account" with 5/3 bank from college.  The account never got closed, and for some reason, showed me in good standing since 1997 when I opened it (I hadn't used it since 1998).  This recently fell off my report as a closed acocunt, and now my "Age of Credit History" is kind of in the toilet since my only credit right now is less than 2 years.

That is hurting my score greatly, but, there's not anything I can do but keep my credit in good standing.

My questions are about the two "derogatory remarks" from Portfolio and Midland.  Portfolio was tricky to deal with.  I eventually lodged a complaint with the BBB saying that Portfolio bullied and lied to try to get me to pay off the debt.  I called asking for a pay for delete, and they said they would be happy to offer a settlement but not for the amount I suggested.  This subtle change of the wording (saying settlement) is what I'm using to try to get BBB to get them to delete the account.  I am demanding a copy of the phone call where they attempted to lure me into paying for something I wasn't actually going to get (the delettion).  That case is still pending, but I don't know how lucky I'll be.

As for Midland, I thought I'd come here first to see what I should do?  With 2 years left, and no major purchases that I need to make in that time, am I better to let them lapse, or do I cough up some money and settle?  I really jsut want these gone so I can move on with things.  I'm making 3 times what I was making when I had these issues, so right now, any money I pay is easily affordable, but comes out of my savings.  It's only like $1500 or so in total debt (I'm not counting Midland's trumped up interest, which I'm sure I can negotiate), but that's $1500 I'd rather have in savings.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Also, should I have another card?  I'm obviously not using the cards for any actual CREDIT usage.  I'm paying off everything in full each month.  So, wondering how many cards makes the most sense to keep my credit improving.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
eric19k
Established Contributor

Re: Steps For Rebuilding After Small Debt

Get a secured cards. Better 2 or 3. And keep 1 card with $0 balance and the other one 1-9%.
Do not miss payments.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 2 of 8
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, here's my story, which I'd like to say is unique, but I'm sure there are many like me.  I have poor credit, not necessarily due to any massive debt, but to some very small debt and more-over a lack of credit.

Currently, I have two accounts in collections, nearing the 7 year mark (they were both started in 2009).  One account is for a GE MONEY BANK debt of $745 that was bought by Midland Funding LLC and has a "current balance" of $1,203.
The second was an HSBC BANK NEVADA N A debt of $746 that was purchased by Portfolio recovery.

I held a car payment in my name from a 2003 auto loan, but that's long since been paid off and no longer gives any credit benefit.  I have three cards I've opened over the last year and a half.  A Bank of America Visa with a $1300 limit.  A Capital One Master Card with a $1500 limit.  And a Chase Amazon card with a $500 limit.  I spend between 19% and 21% on the three cards each month and pay off in full.

I had a long standing "account" with 5/3 bank from college.  The account never got closed, and for some reason, showed me in good standing since 1997 when I opened it (I hadn't used it since 1998).  This recently fell off my report as a closed acocunt, and now my "Age of Credit History" is kind of in the toilet since my only credit right now is less than 2 years.

That is hurting my score greatly, but, there's not anything I can do but keep my credit in good standing.

My questions are about the two "derogatory remarks" from Portfolio and Midland.  Portfolio was tricky to deal with.  I eventually lodged a complaint with the BBB saying that Portfolio bullied and lied to try to get me to pay off the debt.  I called asking for a pay for delete, and they said they would be happy to offer a settlement but not for the amount I suggested.  This subtle change of the wording (saying settlement) is what I'm using to try to get BBB to get them to delete the account.  I am demanding a copy of the phone call where they attempted to lure me into paying for something I wasn't actually going to get (the delettion).  That case is still pending, but I don't know how lucky I'll be.

As for Midland, I thought I'd come here first to see what I should do?  With 2 years left, and no major purchases that I need to make in that time, am I better to let them lapse, or do I cough up some money and settle?  I really jsut want these gone so I can move on with things.  I'm making 3 times what I was making when I had these issues, so right now, any money I pay is easily affordable, but comes out of my savings.  It's only like $1500 or so in total debt (I'm not counting Midland's trumped up interest, which I'm sure I can negotiate), but that's $1500 I'd rather have in savings.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Also, should I have another card?  I'm obviously not using the cards for any actual CREDIT usage.  I'm paying off everything in full each month.  So, wondering how many cards makes the most sense to keep my credit improving.

Thanks!

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

First, DO NOT get a secured card.  I don't think the previous poster noticed that you have revolvers with BOA, Capital One, and Chase.

Secondly, as you probably have already learned, don't talk with CA's.  Do it all by mail.  Offer a settlement with a PFD and get it from them in writing.  I imagine you are outside your state's SOL, but you may want to check to make sure before you do anything.

Worst comes to worst, wait for them to age off.  Remember, the date starts with DOFD, not when they were puchased or sent to the CA.

Good luck!

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 3 of 8
eric19k
Established Contributor

Sorry. I didn't notice that you already have cars. Ma bad.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know they can't call to collect from me anymore, not can they take me to court over the debt.  So, I'm fairly safe there.  From everything I've read, neither Portfolio nor Midland are very responsive to Pay For Deletes...whether in written request or not.  Midland has ignored my written requests thus far.  Portfolio ignored, and I called and got them to yell and bully me.  That was actually my goal.  I want to compel a review of that phone call.  I doubt they will want to subject themselves to that scrutiny by the BBB, so I'm hoping they go for a delete instead.  Either way, my BBB complaint is valid.  But I have stated that my desired recourse is to get on with my life and have the marks removed from my account.  Portfolio has provided doumentation saying that they not only don't offer Pay For Delete, but that they are urged by the credit bureau not to make any such offers.  I'll see how that plays out.

I had a secured card with Bank of America but was able to get it unsecured after the first year, and the limit raised.  Currently, I have $2,800 in available credit, over 3 cards and I spend right in the 20 percent range.  I'm wondering if another card helps or hurts?  I will attempt to get the limits raised on the three cards I have right now later this year.  But, I have an income of $65-70K, and I'm single, so I'm wondering how much credit I SHOULD have to look good to the credit bureaus. 

Also, has anyone been successful with Midland or Portfolio in deleting debts that can be validated?

Message 5 of 8
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

You have three prime cards, so you should be good there.  You say you charge 20-30% on each card - do you let that report?  Your goal should be to have two of the cards report zero and one report no more than 9%.  And remember, they report when the statement cuts, not on the due date.

You can also try to get CLI's on the cards. 

I understand about wanting a clean CR.  But life goes on even without one!  Many (most) of us here have obtained credit cards, mortgages, installment loans, and CLI's with collections and charge-off's.  Your's are old and, while still hurting you, will not be TOO much of a concern to lenders.  These are small amounts as well.  There are some on our forums who have had them in the tens of thousands of dollars.

AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Jim.  I appreciate the advice. 

As for how I do the credit, I charge up 20% on each card (I keep a close eye on this) as soon as my previous payment clears.  So that for most of the month, the cards have a balance on them.  Then, as soon as the statement clears, I pay the full balance, and start charging again.

I don't know if that is the right way to do it or not?  I read that each credit card company reports their balances at different times.  I tried asking Capital One and Bank of America about this, but they wouldn't tell me a time of month.

Message 7 of 8
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Usually they report when the statement cuts.  You can take a look at your statements and see when that is.  The proverbial wisdom is that you want ONLY ONE card reporting a balance and for that to be 9% or less of its CL.

You don't need to use all your cards each month.  If you rotate them and use each card every few months they will stay active.  I have one card that I use most of the time depending on what my goals are at that time (miles, hotel points, etc).  I use my other cards like debit cards - charge something every month then go home and pay it off online.  It has worked well for me.

But, if you have all three cards reporting a balance each month you are depressing your score.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.