Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to getting decent cards

tag
doyleman77
New Visitor

Steps to getting decent cards

So back in '08 I was shipped to a hospital for several weeks, and afterwards tossed with my step-father in a town 20 miles away from the nearest city. I had no car, as I have a fear of driving. Anyway, because I couldn't go to work, my bills fell behind, and I had delinqueted on verizon, the hospital, and capital one.

Fast forward to 2009, and I go back to work in the city, pay off the collections on various accounts, open a 200 secured with capital one for 99, and 6 mo later get a 500 platinum that goes up to 750. That's where I am at now; and I just asked capital one for a increase. From what I've read, the response I got was typical: "card is inelligible for user requested increases".

I also went to college but had to back down to start paying off my collection debts, so my student loan of 1750 is demanding pay. Which totally isn't a problem, I've got it knocked down to 900 or so. Basic question is, I feel like my credit lines are very poor (200 and 750) and want to help somehow. What are my options, or what would you do in my shoes?

--Edit--

My experian score was 680, Transunion was 664, and last was 680. They started off at 480~ apiece at the turn of 2010.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Re: Steps to getting decent cards

I would send out GW's to all of my paid negative trade lines in hopes of getting them removed. Once your scores get a bit higher app for a prime card or two.

Message 2 of 8
doyleman77
New Visitor

A sound response. I did save all info about the creditors and collections in a notebook when i started paying them off, in case i needed to further contact them. My understanding is they often stop caring about cases when they've got what they want, though. What scores are ideal for looking for better cards? I am only 24, with a average good credit account of 1.4 years according to my reports.

Message 3 of 8
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

From my experience and what I have seen of other postings, its more about what is on your report than the score.  Some people squeak through with a few derogatory trade lines while others dont. Its a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing. With where your scores are now if you do get approved, you will most likely be approved with a low limit or higher interest rate, or both.  If your just looking for more lines of credit, I would go for a GE store card or two because they grow fast.

You would be surprised at the success you can have with GW letters. Some times you get lucky on the first one, others the 10th and then there are the ones you never get lucky with. If I were in your spot I would want a cleaner report before app'ing for prime cards.

Message 4 of 8
doyleman77
New Visitor

GE store card? Where might I find one of those? I did a quick search and amazon came up as a result with their Store card. If so, I use amazon alot so that'd be one I'd look into gladly.

Message 5 of 8
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Yeah, amazon is one. Walmart, Lowes, JC Penney are as well.  They might start you out with a some what low limit, but you can request a credit limit increase every 4th statement.  They are very generous with their credit limit increases.

Message 6 of 8
doyleman77
New Visitor

Cool, thanks. Smiley Happy

One last question: Even though my 200 secured card is about 2 years old, with my 750 being 1.5 old, is it worth putting deposits into the secured to raise that limit?

Message 7 of 8
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I wouldnt bother adding more to it. It has served it purpose. A GE card could serve the same purpose as far as reporting higher limits. Once I opened a few other trade lines with okay limits I would sock drawer it or close it trying to avoid more annual fees.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.