Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Steps

I'm probably not using the scorrect search terms, but I'm looking for some kind of step by step guide if there is such a thing. 

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with TU - I disputed a collection on my report on 4/7 through Credit Karma and it is still "under investigation."  I called TU and they said it's showing that the CA said the dispute isn't valid, but I didn't receive anything in regards to this/my CK account is still showing pending.  The woman I was speaking with was clearly overseas and reading from a script, so it was difficult to get her to understand what I was saying.  Am I right that I'm supposed to be notified and/or the CA is supposed to validate the debt because of the dispute within 30 days?  Do I have any recourse with this? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Steps

The FCRA 611(a) process requires the CRA to forward a copy of your dispute to the furnisher of the disputed information, and requries the furnisher to respond back to the CRA prior to the end of the CRA reinvestigation period.  The CRA reinvstigation period, provided the consumer has not sent additional information after filing the dispute, is 30 days.  The CRA must then send its Notice of Results of Reinvestigation no later than 5 business days after conclusion of the reinvestigation.

If you dont get a Notice of Results within 40-45 days after filing the dispute, contact the CRA and make an informal inquiry.

If you wish to formally pursue violation on their part, you have the option of either a complaint sent to the CFPB, or filing your own civil action against the CRA.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Steps

You can also remind the bureau that an actual investigation is supposd to occur.

A certain, large bank, that will remain anonymous because I prefer not to bad-mouth them because they accommodate many of us who are trying to rebuild Cat Tongue, was not doing an investigation, because they could not find the account. They wanted fix my report, in accordance with my dispute, but they did not know the account number, because the records were for a bank that they had bought, and they had purged all closed accounts of the purchased bank. Transunion refused to give me the last 4 digits of the account number for security purposes. My dispute turned into a nightmare, to point where CEO of bank sent me a letter offering to help. At that point, I realized that all I had to do was gently remind Transunion that, per FCRA rules, an actual investigation had to be performed, and given that bank openly admits that they no longer have the account, no investigation could have occurred. It was at that point that Transunion wiped the account of all payment information, positive or negative, but left it on my report, which is what I wanted, given that it had a few years to help with my AAoA.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.