Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still Cleaning Up Wifes Credit

tag
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

Still Cleaning Up Wifes Credit

So, guys I've been trying to clean up my wife's credit (then get her a secured card). She had student loan late payments, which even though the difference owed was paid, they weren't willing to remove the negatives. Well she also has 4 Medical collections from the same hospital (From ER visits before she had health insurance). Now the hospital that she owes money to is good about removing derogatories if you pay in full. We intended to pay in full, but they are reporting 3 of the 4 twice. On the same amount and from the same date. We contacted the hospital and they said we would have to contact the collection agencies. Now here is the problem, if there are two different agencies both wanting payment, how am I supposed to get this off of her report? If she disputes them on her report, which ones does she report as inaccurate? We aren't going to pay twice for one bill. I figured the hospital would take the payment and report it to both agencies, but apparently not. So who do I need to write a letter to? We just want to pay all of her collections in full and have them removed, but we aren't paying for them twice. Thank you!

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Still Cleaning Up Wifes Credit

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

So, guys I've been trying to clean up my wife's credit (then get her a secured card). She had student loan late payments, which even though the difference owed was paid, they weren't willing to remove the negatives. Well she also has 4 Medical collections from the same hospital (From ER visits before she had health insurance). Now the hospital that she owes money to is good about removing derogatories if you pay in full. We intended to pay in full, but they are reporting 3 of the 4 twice. On the same amount and from the same date. We contacted the hospital and they said we would have to contact the collection agencies. Now here is the problem, if there are two different agencies both wanting payment, how am I supposed to get this off of her report? If she disputes them on her report, which ones does she report as inaccurate? We aren't going to pay twice for one bill. I figured the hospital would take the payment and report it to both agencies, but apparently not. So who do I need to write a letter to? We just want to pay all of her collections in full and have them removed, but we aren't paying for them twice. Thank you!

I doubt if both CA's are actively collecting. What often happens is the first CA has no results on the account, and the creditor moves the account to another CA. Well, *sometimes* the first CA is either lazy or just plain cheap and does not delete their report. I tend to think its just a sleazy way for them to save money. It seems that if they initiate a deletion of their report, they have to pay the CRA's, just like they pay to put it on. But if the CRA forwards a dispute to the CA, they simply don't reply and the CRA removes it, no cost for them.

OK, so if you have two CA's reporting the same account, just look and see which CA has the earliest 'opened' dates. Dispute that CA's entry as 'Collector does not have collection authority for this account." and the dups should drop off.

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For medical debt you have an extra option if necessary. Only one CA can report on the same debt, the first one per the CRA manual has to delete their collection if they have lost the authority to collect.

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 3 of 4
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

For medical debt you have an extra option if necessary. Only one CA can report on the same debt, the first one per the CRA manual has to delete their collection if they have lost the authority to collect.

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Thanks gdale. Trying to get her end taken care of so we can get a decent mortgage in the future!

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.